WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 14, 2017 @ 9:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Prosecution of Two Humboldt Growers Blocked by Federal Judge
A federal judge in San Francisco halted the prosecution of a pair of Humboldt County growers last week, citing the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment — an article passed in 2014, prohibiting the U.S. Justice Department from infringing upon any state’s medical marijuana laws.
Anthony Pisarski and Sonny Moore, who both plead guilty to drug charges in 2014 after they were arrested during a mass raid near Miranda in 2012, had their pending three-year sentences wiped away on August 8, after U.S. District Judge Richard Seeborg suspended any further proceedings.
SF Gate reports that Judge Seeborg’s decision to bar the prosecution, on the grounds that it violated the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment, was the first ruling of it’s kind.
Judge Seeborg is quoted in the SF Gate article saying that evidence shows Pisarski and Moore “strictly complied with all relevant conditions imposed by California law.”
The Humboldt growers are reportedly free on bail, and will now seek to withdraw their guilty pleas. Pisarski’s lawyer Ronald Richards is also quoted in the article after successfully challenging federal prosecutors.
“We’re finally seeing the tide turning and the law changing,” Richards told reporters. “I never thought I’d have the right to stop a federal criminal prosecution.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
After legalizing cannabis, California’s black market could remain huge - The Cannifornian
Struggling L.A. County cities are hoping to cash in on California’s relaxed marijuana laws — and facing push back
Neil DeGrasse Tyson Likes Legal Marijuana, So Will ‘Cosmos On Weed’ Become A Reality?
THE FRESH TOAST
The Humboldt Chronicles
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
- How Much Money?
From the Outpost
- People on the Street: Is 420 Still a Thing?
- Happy 4/20! Supervisor Estelle Fennell Elected President of Multi-County California Cannabis Authority
- (UPDATE: NOT YET) Busting Pot Farms From Space: Supervisors (MAY) Approve Contract With Company Offering High-Res Satellite Imagery to Assist With Code Enforcement
- County Supervisors Ease Tax Burden on Weed Growers, Hire Attorneys to Sue Big Pharma’s Opioid Manufacturers
- Here’s What People Had to Say About the County’s Comprehensive New Weed Ordinance, Including the Proposed Cultivation Permit Cap
- County Supervisors Met Monday to Start Deliberating on Proposed New Weed Regs, Including a Permit Cap
- California Has Already Issued More than 2,000 Cannabis Cultivation Licenses. Are Growers Being Set Up to Fail?
- Two New Weed Stores on Eureka’s Fourth Street? City Council Set to Move Forward at Next’s Week’s Meeting
- Leafly: Tips for Improving Your Cannabis Soil on a Budget
- Marijuana Business Daily: Marijuana-infused products maker Dixie Brands lands $4M in funding
- Leafly: 12 Sugar-Free Cannabis Edibles for a Healthier High
- High Times News: Missouri House Approves Medical Marijuana Bill
- Cannabis Culture: Here Are America’s Best and Worst Governors on Weed
- The Cannifornian: Capitol Tracker: Cannabis banking, special event bills advance
- Marijuana Business Daily: Health Canada ‘open’ to medical marijuana sales through pharmacies
- High Times News: Kris Jenner Smokes A Joint on Camera
- Leafly: YouTube Continues its Cannabis Purge and Nobody Knows Why
- Leafly: Missouri House Moves to Legalize Medical Marijuana