WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 14 @ 9:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Prosecution of Two Humboldt Growers Blocked by Federal Judge
A federal judge in San Francisco halted the prosecution of a pair of Humboldt County growers last week, citing the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment — an article passed in 2014, prohibiting the U.S. Justice Department from infringing upon any state’s medical marijuana laws.
Anthony Pisarski and Sonny Moore, who both plead guilty to drug charges in 2014 after they were arrested during a mass raid near Miranda in 2012, had their pending three-year sentences wiped away on August 8, after U.S. District Judge Richard Seeborg suspended any further proceedings.
SF Gate reports that Judge Seeborg’s decision to bar the prosecution, on the grounds that it violated the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment, was the first ruling of it’s kind.
Judge Seeborg is quoted in the SF Gate article saying that evidence shows Pisarski and Moore “strictly complied with all relevant conditions imposed by California law.”
The Humboldt growers are reportedly free on bail, and will now seek to withdraw their guilty pleas. Pisarski’s lawyer Ronald Richards is also quoted in the article after successfully challenging federal prosecutors.
“We’re finally seeing the tide turning and the law changing,” Richards told reporters. “I never thought I’d have the right to stop a federal criminal prosecution.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
After legalizing cannabis, California’s black market could remain huge - The Cannifornian
Struggling L.A. County cities are hoping to cash in on California’s relaxed marijuana laws — and facing push back
Neil DeGrasse Tyson Likes Legal Marijuana, So Will ‘Cosmos On Weed’ Become A Reality?
THE FRESH TOAST
From the Outpost
- (PHOTOS) Arcata Celebrates Cannabis Culture With First Ever ‘Yes We Cann Parade & Hullabaloo’
- One Arrested, One At Large After Eureka Marijuana Deal Gone Bad
- 11,412 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, 1,153 Pounds Seized, Three Arrested After Three-Day HCSO-Led Raid
- 4,500 Marijuana Plants from 23 Unpermitted Gardens Eradicated by Humboldt Sheriff’s DEU; Environmental Violations Discovered; Three Arrested
- Mendo Cops Make Big Weed Bust on Willits Tribal Land … at the Request of Tribal Officials, Sheriff’s Office Says
- Here’s the Documentation You’ll Need to Keep the Sheriff’s Office From Busting Your Weed Grow
- Armed Men Allegedly Pose as Law Enforcement in Attempt to Steal Northern Mendocino Marijuana Crop
- Humboldt Sheriff’s Office Eradicates 5,491 Marijuana Plants on Parcel Without Commercial Grow Permits
- Cannabis Culture: California Finds ‘Pot of Gold’ in Wine and Weed
- Cannabis Culture: Officials In Legal-Weed States Push Back Against Jeff Sessions’ Marijuana Criticisms
- The Cannabist: Cannabis industry "deluged" with résumés from millennials
- Cannabis Culture: Canadian Athletes Enter Tricky Doping Landscape
- Cannabis Culture: Mary Jean “Watermelon” Dunsdon Will Run as Vancouver’s Cannabis-Friendly City Council Candidate
- Cannabis Culture: The Essential Guide For The First-Time Cannabis Tourist
- Cannabis Culture: TSX Operator in Talks About Cannabis Company Trades, says No Ban Currently in Place
- The Cannifornian: Bid to allow pot dispensaries in Vista making progress
- The Cannabist: Hemp Festival planned to make debut in northern Vermont
- The Cannifornian: Medical marijuana makers, distributors to be allowed in El Monte, but retail locations still banned