WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 14, 2017 @ 9:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Prosecution of Two Humboldt Growers Blocked by Federal Judge
A federal judge in San Francisco halted the prosecution of a pair of Humboldt County growers last week, citing the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment — an article passed in 2014, prohibiting the U.S. Justice Department from infringing upon any state’s medical marijuana laws.
Anthony Pisarski and Sonny Moore, who both plead guilty to drug charges in 2014 after they were arrested during a mass raid near Miranda in 2012, had their pending three-year sentences wiped away on August 8, after U.S. District Judge Richard Seeborg suspended any further proceedings.
SF Gate reports that Judge Seeborg’s decision to bar the prosecution, on the grounds that it violated the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment, was the first ruling of it’s kind.
Judge Seeborg is quoted in the SF Gate article saying that evidence shows Pisarski and Moore “strictly complied with all relevant conditions imposed by California law.”
The Humboldt growers are reportedly free on bail, and will now seek to withdraw their guilty pleas. Pisarski’s lawyer Ronald Richards is also quoted in the article after successfully challenging federal prosecutors.
“We’re finally seeing the tide turning and the law changing,” Richards told reporters. “I never thought I’d have the right to stop a federal criminal prosecution.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
After legalizing cannabis, California’s black market could remain huge - The Cannifornian
Struggling L.A. County cities are hoping to cash in on California’s relaxed marijuana laws — and facing push back
Neil DeGrasse Tyson Likes Legal Marijuana, So Will ‘Cosmos On Weed’ Become A Reality?
THE FRESH TOAST
The Humboldt Chronicles
From the Outpost
- Just ‘Cause Weed’s Legal Now Doesn’t Mean You Can Smoke (or Ingest or Vape) It In Public, Eureka Reminds You
- Water District Says Proposed Mercer-Fraser Marijuana Facility Threatens Health and Safety of Two of Every Three County Residents
- If You Want to Weigh In on the County’s Commercial Cannabis Land Use Ordinance, Thursday’s Your Chance
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions to Rescind Obama-Era Memo Protecting States’ Rights on Marijuana Legalization
- Pair of Local Marijuana Entrepreneurs, Including Founder of Jack’s Hand Cleaner, Busted in Tennessee Airport With More Than 150 Pounds of Weed, Cops Say
- Recreational Weed Sales Are Brisk as Second Humboldt Retail Outlet Gets State License
- (VIDEO) CNBC Show ‘The Profit’ Comes to ‘The Marijuana Capital of America’ (Guess Where That Is)
- Recreational Weed Sales Start Monday Statewide; Here’s Where You Can Buy It Locally
- Cannabis Law Report: Article – Norton Rose Fulbright (Canada): Health Canada’s proposed approach to the regulation of cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: Ontario Considers Licensing Cannabis Lounges
- Cannabis Culture: New York to Look at Legalizing Recreational Marijuana
- The Cannabist: Will medical marijuana make Nebraska's 2018 ballot?
- The Cannabist: Recreational marijuana sales launch in Los Angeles
- The Cannifornian: Cannabis Chicken Matzo Ball Soup to make Bubby jealous
- Leafly: What It’s Like to Get High in a Lloyd Wright House
- Emerald Report: Once pot-friendly Calaveras County in California bans marijuana
- 420 Intel: ECASSOC
- Leafly: What the Federal Shutdown Means for Medical Marijuana