WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 7 @ 10:43 a.m.
Weed Feed: Cannabis Company Buys California Ghost Town, Plans to Build Stoner Sanctuary
Like the old logging towns of Humboldt’s past, a cannabis company has bought up an entire unincorporated community in Southern California with the hopes of turning it into a pot paradise.
Numerous media outlets report that Arizona-based cannabis company American Green Inc. purchased the small desert town of Nipton, Calif., last week. The 120-acre town was listed at $5 million, but Time reports that the company will not say how much it actually spent on the property.
The company put out a statement last week saying it plans to build the “first energy-independent, cannabis-friendly hospitality destination,” CNN reports
The company also said its planning an 18-month, $2.5 million-dollar development that will feature mineral baths, lodging, cannabis shopping, and an “eco-tourism experience for conscious cannabis consumers.”
American Green will start by bottling Nipton’s water and infusing it with cannabis, and it plans to offer cultivated cannabis and edibles at a later date.
Previously a gold and silver mining town, Nipton is now home to fewer than 20 people. The town sits along the Nevada border, roughly an hour outside Las Vegas.
Nevada legalized recreational cannabis last month but is still working out many industry details. Recreational cannabis will be legal to sell in California starting next year.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Kanye West’s Insurance Company Claims Weed May Have Played a Role in His 2016 Breakdown (EXCLUSIVE)
IN TOUCH WEEKLY
From the Outpost
- HARDIN: Please Don’t Scare the Trimmigrants
- With Its Weed Business Booming, City of Rio Dell Makes Pitch for Cannabis Tax on November Ballot
- Garberville Sanitary District Sez: Dudes, We Don’t Have Enough Municipal Water to Feed All Your Grow Ops
- (VIDEO) Kirsten Dunst on Humboldt Weed: ‘This is, Like, STUH-RONG Shit’
- Supervisors Opt to Prorate Cannabis Excise Tax, Place Moratorium on Weed Grows in Coastal Zone
- Suspected Hash Lab Explosion West of Willits Blows Hole in Roof of 30,000-Square-Foot Warehouse
- Environmental Leaders Say County’s Weed Ordinance and Draft EIR are Fine But Enforcement is Sorely Lacking
- These Marijuana Bills From Our State Reps Could Shape California’s Legal Weed Industry
- The Cannifornian: Placentia electrical fire reveals illegal marijuana grow
- The Cannabist: Introducing High Minded by The Cannabist
- Leafly: Everything You Need to Know About Pre-Filled Oil Vape Cartridges
- The Cannabist: NFL uses its muscle to endorse sentencing reform legislation
- The Cannifornian: Drug czar nominee withdraws from consideration after opioid revalations
- Cannabis Culture: Cory Booker Says War On Drugs Is A “Cancer”
- Leafly: Crowdfunding Site Cancels Aid to California Wildfire Victims—Because Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: How Not to Get Busted When Marijuana is Legal
- The Cannifornian: Pickup truck full of marijuana crashes outside Northern California fire station
- The Cannabist: Silicon Valley just got a cannabis trade association