WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 7, 2017 @ 10:43 a.m.
Weed Feed: Cannabis Company Buys California Ghost Town, Plans to Build Stoner Sanctuary
Like the old logging towns of Humboldt’s past, a cannabis company has bought up an entire unincorporated community in Southern California with the hopes of turning it into a pot paradise.
Numerous media outlets report that Arizona-based cannabis company American Green Inc. purchased the small desert town of Nipton, Calif., last week. The 120-acre town was listed at $5 million, but Time reports that the company will not say how much it actually spent on the property.
The company put out a statement last week saying it plans to build the “first energy-independent, cannabis-friendly hospitality destination,” CNN reports
The company also said its planning an 18-month, $2.5 million-dollar development that will feature mineral baths, lodging, cannabis shopping, and an “eco-tourism experience for conscious cannabis consumers.”
American Green will start by bottling Nipton’s water and infusing it with cannabis, and it plans to offer cultivated cannabis and edibles at a later date.
Previously a gold and silver mining town, Nipton is now home to fewer than 20 people. The town sits along the Nevada border, roughly an hour outside Las Vegas.
Nevada legalized recreational cannabis last month but is still working out many industry details. Recreational cannabis will be legal to sell in California starting next year.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Kanye West’s Insurance Company Claims Weed May Have Played a Role in His 2016 Breakdown (EXCLUSIVE)
IN TOUCH WEEKLY
The Humboldt Chronicles
- Co-Ops And Competitiveness
- A Look At Distribution
- August 18 Show
- July 21 Show
- June 16 Show
- May 19 Show
- April 21 Show
- March 17 Show
From the Outpost
- Amid Behind-the-Scenes Controversy, County Issues a New Call for Proposals to Market Humboldt Cannabis
- New Documentary ‘Lady Buds’ Shines Light on Humboldt’s Women in Cannabis During an Era of Hardship
- TODAY in SUPES: Board Allocates $1M for Micro-Grants in an Effort to Help the ‘Failing Cannabis Industry’
- More Than $2M-Worth of Services Up for Grabs for Local Cannabis Community Via the County’s Project Trellis Equity Program
- Let’s Take a Closer Look at the Sun Valley Weed Grow and How the Supervisors Reached a Decision
- Supervisors Deny Appeal, Approve a (Downsized Again) 5.7-Acre Weed Grow on Sun Valley Property in Arcata Bottoms
- Marijuana Enforcement Team Destroys 1,449 pounds of Weed, Finds Evidence of Bear Poaching While Serving Search Warrants in Willow Creek, Sheriff’s Office Says
- The Fate of Sun Valley’s Weed Farm Appears to Hinge on Size and Smell
- Leafly: New York will soon allow homegrown medical cannabis
- Cannabis Law Report: Husch Blackwell Cannabis Group Expands into Boston
- Cannabis Law Report: Oregon: Realtor accused of being involved in transactions for dozens of properties used for illegal grow-ops
- Wikileaf: Is Delta-8 Here to Stay?
- Cannabis Law Report: Saudi Supreme Court upholds verdict giving SR98,000 compensation to man wrongfully arrested in hashish possession case
- Leafly: In Houston, cannabis fires up the city’s Chopped & Screwed culture
- High Times News: Luxembourg to Become First EU Country to Legalize Cannabis Cultivation and Consumption
- High Times News: Boris Johnson Open to Consider Legalizing Psilocybin Therapy in UK
- The Emerald Magazine : Lawmakers Make Another Push for Federal Cannabis Decriminalization with CAOA
- Cannabis Law Report: Illinois Supreme Court orders consolidation of lawsuits by applicants challenging the recreational cannabis licensing process