WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 7, 2017 @ 10:43 a.m.
Weed Feed: Cannabis Company Buys California Ghost Town, Plans to Build Stoner Sanctuary
Like the old logging towns of Humboldt’s past, a cannabis company has bought up an entire unincorporated community in Southern California with the hopes of turning it into a pot paradise.
Numerous media outlets report that Arizona-based cannabis company American Green Inc. purchased the small desert town of Nipton, Calif., last week. The 120-acre town was listed at $5 million, but Time reports that the company will not say how much it actually spent on the property.
The company put out a statement last week saying it plans to build the “first energy-independent, cannabis-friendly hospitality destination,” CNN reports
The company also said its planning an 18-month, $2.5 million-dollar development that will feature mineral baths, lodging, cannabis shopping, and an “eco-tourism experience for conscious cannabis consumers.”
American Green will start by bottling Nipton’s water and infusing it with cannabis, and it plans to offer cultivated cannabis and edibles at a later date.
Previously a gold and silver mining town, Nipton is now home to fewer than 20 people. The town sits along the Nevada border, roughly an hour outside Las Vegas.
Nevada legalized recreational cannabis last month but is still working out many industry details. Recreational cannabis will be legal to sell in California starting next year.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Kanye West’s Insurance Company Claims Weed May Have Played a Role in His 2016 Breakdown (EXCLUSIVE)
IN TOUCH WEEKLY
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
From the Outpost
- Stats for Humboldt Sheriff’s Office’s Week of Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raids
- More Search Warrants Served, More Marijuana Eradicated at Unpermitted Humboldt Grow Sites
- Humboldt Sheriff’s Office Gets Sassy With Its Hashtags During Unpermitted Weed Grow Raids; 13,000+ Marijuana Plants Eradicated
- Arcata’s New Cannabis Ordinance Goes into Effect Today and It May Allow More Sales Than It Seems
- Humboldt Growers See Opportunity as the State’s New Cannabis Rules Cause Bottlenecks in the Supply Chain
- Humboldt County Gets Its Own Regional Office of the Bureau of Cannabis Control
- 1,924 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized at Unpermitted Grow Near Dinsmore
- 3,075 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized, Various Violations Observed, One Arrested During Raid Near Dinsmore
- The Cannifornian: Marijuana suspected after driver rear-ends car with California state controller aboard
- Cannabis Law Report: WSWA (The Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America) Press Release Favours States Rights On regulated Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: ‘Trifecta of Opportunity Within One Plant’: Prairie Hemp Farmers Could Win Big With New Cannabis Rules
- Cannabis Culture: A Bethlehem Woman’s Uneasy Journey From Opioids to Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: David Staples: New Lamp That Mimics the Sun Has Major Impact on Cannabis Growing
- Merry Jane: Capture Your Kush Lifestyle in MERRY JANE’s Broccoli Bash Challenge With SESH
- Cannabis Law Report: Billboard Report: “Chalice Festival Sues Bureau of Cannabis Control as Weed-Centric Events Battle With Legalization”
- High Times News: First Alcohol Association Supports Recreational Marijuana
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #42: Bugs, Bulldozers, and CBD Porn
- Marijuana Business Daily: Lawsuits filed in Oklahoma target strict new medical marijuana rules