WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 7, 2017 @ 10:43 a.m.
Weed Feed: Cannabis Company Buys California Ghost Town, Plans to Build Stoner Sanctuary
Like the old logging towns of Humboldt’s past, a cannabis company has bought up an entire unincorporated community in Southern California with the hopes of turning it into a pot paradise.
Numerous media outlets report that Arizona-based cannabis company American Green Inc. purchased the small desert town of Nipton, Calif., last week. The 120-acre town was listed at $5 million, but Time reports that the company will not say how much it actually spent on the property.
The company put out a statement last week saying it plans to build the “first energy-independent, cannabis-friendly hospitality destination,” CNN reports
The company also said its planning an 18-month, $2.5 million-dollar development that will feature mineral baths, lodging, cannabis shopping, and an “eco-tourism experience for conscious cannabis consumers.”
American Green will start by bottling Nipton’s water and infusing it with cannabis, and it plans to offer cultivated cannabis and edibles at a later date.
Previously a gold and silver mining town, Nipton is now home to fewer than 20 people. The town sits along the Nevada border, roughly an hour outside Las Vegas.
Nevada legalized recreational cannabis last month but is still working out many industry details. Recreational cannabis will be legal to sell in California starting next year.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Kanye West’s Insurance Company Claims Weed May Have Played a Role in His 2016 Breakdown (EXCLUSIVE)
IN TOUCH WEEKLY
The Humboldt Chronicles
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
- How Much Money?
From the Outpost
- Legal Weed Summit to Be Held in Ukiah Next Week; McGuire, Wood Will Host ‘First 60 Days of Prop 64’ Hearing
- ‘You Are Sucking Us Dry’: Growers Descend on Supervisors Meeting to Protest Cannabis Fees, Taxes
- California Growers Association Sues State Over Loophole in Pot Farm Size Limits
- Just ‘Cause Weed’s Legal Now Doesn’t Mean You Can Smoke (or Ingest or Vape) It In Public, Eureka Reminds You
- Water District Says Proposed Mercer-Fraser Marijuana Facility Threatens Health and Safety of Two of Every Three County Residents
- If You Want to Weigh In on the County’s Commercial Cannabis Land Use Ordinance, Thursday’s Your Chance
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions to Rescind Obama-Era Memo Protecting States’ Rights on Marijuana Legalization
- Pair of Local Marijuana Entrepreneurs, Including Founder of Jack’s Hand Cleaner, Busted in Tennessee Airport With More Than 150 Pounds of Weed, Cops Say
- Cannabis Law Report: California: Approves First Surety Bond Program For Cannabis Sector
- Emerald Report: Forgot about that joint? Las Vegas airport lets people dump pot
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #22: Raising (Hell in) Arizona
- Leafly: UK Parliament Members Blame Own Party for Blocking Medical Cannabis Vote
- Marijuana Business Daily: Study: Marijuana use in Canada doubled in 30-year span
- Leafly: The 7 Best Blunt Wraps for a Healthier, Tobacco-Free Smoke
- Marijuana Business Daily: Pennsylvania misses hemp target, but expansion still coming
- Leafly: How Does Cannabis Consumption Affect Heart Rate?
- High Times News: These 12 States Could Pass Marijuana Laws This Year
- Leafly: California City Cuts Cannabis Taxes, Others Expected to Follow