WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 7 @ 10:43 a.m.
Weed Feed: Cannabis Company Buys California Ghost Town, Plans to Build Stoner Sanctuary
Like the old logging towns of Humboldt’s past, a cannabis company has bought up an entire unincorporated community in Southern California with the hopes of turning it into a pot paradise.
Numerous media outlets report that Arizona-based cannabis company American Green Inc. purchased the small desert town of Nipton, Calif., last week. The 120-acre town was listed at $5 million, but Time reports that the company will not say how much it actually spent on the property.
The company put out a statement last week saying it plans to build the “first energy-independent, cannabis-friendly hospitality destination,” CNN reports
The company also said its planning an 18-month, $2.5 million-dollar development that will feature mineral baths, lodging, cannabis shopping, and an “eco-tourism experience for conscious cannabis consumers.”
American Green will start by bottling Nipton’s water and infusing it with cannabis, and it plans to offer cultivated cannabis and edibles at a later date.
Previously a gold and silver mining town, Nipton is now home to fewer than 20 people. The town sits along the Nevada border, roughly an hour outside Las Vegas.
Nevada legalized recreational cannabis last month but is still working out many industry details. Recreational cannabis will be legal to sell in California starting next year.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Kanye West’s Insurance Company Claims Weed May Have Played a Role in His 2016 Breakdown (EXCLUSIVE)
IN TOUCH WEEKLY
From the Outpost
- (PHOTOS) Arcata Celebrates Cannabis Culture With First Ever ‘Yes We Cann Parade & Hullabaloo’
- One Arrested, One At Large After Eureka Marijuana Deal Gone Bad
- 11,412 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, 1,153 Pounds Seized, Three Arrested After Three-Day HCSO-Led Raid
- 4,500 Marijuana Plants from 23 Unpermitted Gardens Eradicated by Humboldt Sheriff’s DEU; Environmental Violations Discovered; Three Arrested
- Mendo Cops Make Big Weed Bust on Willits Tribal Land … at the Request of Tribal Officials, Sheriff’s Office Says
- Here’s the Documentation You’ll Need to Keep the Sheriff’s Office From Busting Your Weed Grow
- Armed Men Allegedly Pose as Law Enforcement in Attempt to Steal Northern Mendocino Marijuana Crop
- Humboldt Sheriff’s Office Eradicates 5,491 Marijuana Plants on Parcel Without Commercial Grow Permits
- Cannabis Culture: California Finds ‘Pot of Gold’ in Wine and Weed
- Cannabis Culture: Officials In Legal-Weed States Push Back Against Jeff Sessions’ Marijuana Criticisms
- The Cannabist: Cannabis industry "deluged" with résumés from millennials
- Cannabis Culture: Canadian Athletes Enter Tricky Doping Landscape
- Cannabis Culture: Mary Jean “Watermelon” Dunsdon Will Run as Vancouver’s Cannabis-Friendly City Council Candidate
- Cannabis Culture: The Essential Guide For The First-Time Cannabis Tourist
- Cannabis Culture: TSX Operator in Talks About Cannabis Company Trades, says No Ban Currently in Place
- The Cannifornian: Bid to allow pot dispensaries in Vista making progress
- The Cannabist: Hemp Festival planned to make debut in northern Vermont
- The Cannifornian: Medical marijuana makers, distributors to be allowed in El Monte, but retail locations still banned