WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Sunday, Dec. 3, 2017 @ 8:53 a.m.
Weed Feed: U.S. Army Issues Waivers for Enlistees Who Use Marijuana
In the past, the U.S. Army turned away marijuana users trying to enlist. But now that President Donald Trump is working towards increasing military spending and bolstering what he says is a “depleted military,” the army is looking the other way.
“Provided they understand that they cannot do that when they serve in the military,” the Army’s recruiting command Maj. Gen. Jeff Snow told the AP. “I will waive that all day long.”
So soldiers still won’t be allowed to use marijuana after enlistment. But the past? That’s ancient history. According the the AP report, the number of waivers granted for enlisting soldier who have smoked weed in the past has grown from 191 in 2016 to more than 500 in 2017.
According to army data gathered by the AP, 69,000 recruits were enlisted this year, roughly 6,000 more than last year.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
From the Outpost
- 3,075 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized, Various Violations Observed, One Arrested During Raid Near Dinsmore
- Multi-Agency Trinity County Marijuana Grow Site Clean Up; Helicopter Used to Remove 31 Miles of Irrigation Hose, 21,000+ lbs. of Equipment
- Proposed Arcata Cannabis Ordinance Would Limit Permits to 15 Businesses, Restrict Sales in Plaza Shops
- Three Arrested, Thousands of Marijuana Plants Destroyed, $3 Million Cash Seized During Last Week’s Raids on Unregulated Grow Sites
- Supervisors Pass County Weed Ordinance Version 2.0
- People on the Street: Is 420 Still a Thing?
- Happy 4/20! Supervisor Estelle Fennell Elected President of Multi-County California Cannabis Authority
- (UPDATE: NOT YET) Busting Pot Farms From Space: Supervisors (MAY) Approve Contract With Company Offering High-Res Satellite Imagery to Assist With Code Enforcement
- Cannabis Law Report: Marijuana Policy Project Does The Hard Yards But Industry Businesses Who Reap The Rewards Not Providing The Financial Support
- The Cannifornian: Canadian senate passes marijuana bill, but legalization is delayed
- The Cannifornian: Backers of the Chalice festival sue California cannabis chief, Victorville over event permit
- Marijuana Business Daily: Canada ends cannabis prohibition in ‘historic’ vote to legalize recreational use
- Leafly: The Canadian Senate Passes the Cannabis Act!
- Leafly: Autism and Cannabis: Here’s What the Science Says
- The Cannifornian: You can now find marijuana laws for every California city using your Amazon Alexa
- Leafly: Is This the UK’s ‘Charlotte’s Web’ Moment?
- The Cannifornian: Commercial cannabis in Oroville on council agenda today
- Leafly: The Good Doctor