WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Sunday, Dec. 3, 2017 @ 8:53 a.m.
Weed Feed: U.S. Army Issues Waivers for Enlistees Who Use Marijuana
In the past, the U.S. Army turned away marijuana users trying to enlist. But now that President Donald Trump is working towards increasing military spending and bolstering what he says is a “depleted military,” the army is looking the other way.
“Provided they understand that they cannot do that when they serve in the military,” the Army’s recruiting command Maj. Gen. Jeff Snow told the AP. “I will waive that all day long.”
So soldiers still won’t be allowed to use marijuana after enlistment. But the past? That’s ancient history. According the the AP report, the number of waivers granted for enlisting soldier who have smoked weed in the past has grown from 191 in 2016 to more than 500 in 2017.
According to army data gathered by the AP, 69,000 recruits were enlisted this year, roughly 6,000 more than last year.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Unpermitted SoHum Marijuana Grow Raided; 4,988 Plants Eradicated
- THE HOBELMANN REPORT: Cannabis Commerce Descends On Fortuna at HCGA’s ‘Meet the Buyers’ Event
- One Arrested, 10,211 Plants Eradicated During Marijuana Grow Raid Near Dinsmore
- Big SoHum Marijuana Grow Raid; 21,053 Plants Eradicated; Over 3,400 Pounds Destroyed
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid on Berry Summit; 4,834 Plants Eradicated
- Sheriff’s Office Seizes $36k During Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid; 854 Plants Eradicated
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raided Near Blake Mountain; Cultivation Evidence Found on Adjacent Forest Service Land
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid in Rancho Sequoia; 1,336 Plants Eradicated
- Marijuana Business Daily: Weekly Deal Watch: Cannabis real estate a hot target for investment
- High Times News: Gov. Cuomo Passes Law in NY to Allow Medical Cannabis as Opioid Alternative
- Cannabis Law Report: There’s Still Pushback In The NJ Legislature Over Cannabis Regulation
- Cannabis Law Report: California Administrative Court Rules That 5 Yr Old Can Take Medicinal Cannabis To School
- High Times News: FBI Data Shows Cannabis Arrests are on the Rise for Second Year in a Row
- High Times News: Activists in Oregon Fight for the Public Consumption of Cannabis
- Leafly: Oregon Craft Cannabis Strains, by the Terpene
- High Times News: Thai Police Give Researchers 220 Pounds Of Seized Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: Marijuana retailer Green Growth Brands upsized CA$85 million raise
- Leafly: Missouri Has Three Legalization Measures. Two Are Very Odd