WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Sunday, Dec. 3, 2017 @ 8:53 a.m.
Weed Feed: U.S. Army Issues Waivers for Enlistees Who Use Marijuana
In the past, the U.S. Army turned away marijuana users trying to enlist. But now that President Donald Trump is working towards increasing military spending and bolstering what he says is a “depleted military,” the army is looking the other way.
“Provided they understand that they cannot do that when they serve in the military,” the Army’s recruiting command Maj. Gen. Jeff Snow told the AP. “I will waive that all day long.”
So soldiers still won’t be allowed to use marijuana after enlistment. But the past? That’s ancient history. According the the AP report, the number of waivers granted for enlisting soldier who have smoked weed in the past has grown from 191 in 2016 to more than 500 in 2017.
According to army data gathered by the AP, 69,000 recruits were enlisted this year, roughly 6,000 more than last year.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
- How Much Money?
From the Outpost
- Legal Weed Summit to Be Held in Ukiah Next Week; McGuire, Wood Will Host ‘First 60 Days of Prop 64’ Hearing
- ‘You Are Sucking Us Dry’: Growers Descend on Supervisors Meeting to Protest Cannabis Fees, Taxes
- California Growers Association Sues State Over Loophole in Pot Farm Size Limits
- Just ‘Cause Weed’s Legal Now Doesn’t Mean You Can Smoke (or Ingest or Vape) It In Public, Eureka Reminds You
- Water District Says Proposed Mercer-Fraser Marijuana Facility Threatens Health and Safety of Two of Every Three County Residents
- If You Want to Weigh In on the County’s Commercial Cannabis Land Use Ordinance, Thursday’s Your Chance
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions to Rescind Obama-Era Memo Protecting States’ Rights on Marijuana Legalization
- Pair of Local Marijuana Entrepreneurs, Including Founder of Jack’s Hand Cleaner, Busted in Tennessee Airport With More Than 150 Pounds of Weed, Cops Say
- Cannabis Law Report: California: Approves First Surety Bond Program For Cannabis Sector
- Emerald Report: Forgot about that joint? Las Vegas airport lets people dump pot
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #22: Raising (Hell in) Arizona
- Leafly: UK Parliament Members Blame Own Party for Blocking Medical Cannabis Vote
- Marijuana Business Daily: Study: Marijuana use in Canada doubled in 30-year span
- Leafly: The 7 Best Blunt Wraps for a Healthier, Tobacco-Free Smoke
- Marijuana Business Daily: Pennsylvania misses hemp target, but expansion still coming
- Leafly: How Does Cannabis Consumption Affect Heart Rate?
- High Times News: These 12 States Could Pass Marijuana Laws This Year
- Leafly: California City Cuts Cannabis Taxes, Others Expected to Follow