WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Sunday, Dec. 3 @ 8:53 a.m.
Weed Feed: U.S. Army Issues Waivers for Enlistees Who Use Marijuana
In the past, the U.S. Army turned away marijuana users trying to enlist. But now that President Donald Trump is working towards increasing military spending and bolstering what he says is a “depleted military,” the army is looking the other way.
“Provided they understand that they cannot do that when they serve in the military,” the Army’s recruiting command Maj. Gen. Jeff Snow told the AP. “I will waive that all day long.”
So soldiers still won’t be allowed to use marijuana after enlistment. But the past? That’s ancient history. According the the AP report, the number of waivers granted for enlisting soldier who have smoked weed in the past has grown from 191 in 2016 to more than 500 in 2017.
According to army data gathered by the AP, 69,000 recruits were enlisted this year, roughly 6,000 more than last year.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
From the Outpost
- (VIDEO) Confused on How to Register Your Cannabiz? Cheech Will Help You!
- WHAT WE FOUND THERE: Stories From Humboldt’s Marijuana Culture
- Anxiety Runs High as Marijuana Legalization Puts Humboldt County’s Economy at a Crossroads
- 3,000 lbs. of Marijuana Seized and Destroyed After DEU Serves Warrants on Highway 36 Properties
- PRICE SUPPORTS FOR GROWERS! North Coast’s Legislative Delegation Lobbies State Weed Official to Keep Cannabis Production Tiny
- These are the Rules You Must Follow if You Want to Sell Marijuana in California Next Year
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow, Say Rangers
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow
- Cannabis Culture: Weed and Wine Tours in California
- Cannabis Culture: California Cannabis Farm Partners with Florist to Create Wacky Weed Holiday Wreaths
- The Cannabist: After a hot summer, Colorado's cannabis sales cool down
- Leafly: Coffee Shop Wants to Be Denver’s First Legal Cannabis Club
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Gelt
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Sufganiyot
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Potato Latkes
- Leafly: 3 Ways to Infuse Your Hanukkah Recipes With Cannabis
- Leafly: Opioid Crisis: Trump Prescribes Heavy Dose of ‘Alternative Facts’
- The Cannifornian: 10 steps to starting a marijuana business in California