WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, July 17, 2017 @ 7:55 a.m.
Weed Feed: Netflix's New Stoner Series 'Disjointed' Can Open Doors for Future Pot Programming
Recreational marijuana is quickly becoming a normal part of American life. So much so that it’s getting its very own TV sitcom.
Back on April 20, while target audiences were preoccupied heating up Totino’s Pizza Rolls, Netflix announced its new original series “Disjointed.“ The workplace comedy, premiering next month, stars Kathy Bates as a lifelong cannabis advocate living out her dream of owning and operating an LA pot dispensary.
While many studios have tried to produce shows aimed at cannabis users in recent years, few have made it to the production stage.
“Humboldt,” a cannabis crime drama starring John Malkovich announced by Sony Pictures last year, is no longer happening, Variety reports. According to the same article, NBC’s proposed pot shop comedy “Buds,” starring Adam Scott, is also off the table.
Various other pot projects that have made it to television in recent years have either struggled to find an audience or gone belly-up. Like MTV’s “Mary + Jane,” a pot-com that was canned last year after one season.
For many God-fearing Americans, cannabis is still a taboo subject, which may be why studio execs are unwilling to take a risk on shows centered around the drug.
But Netflix seems to have a trick up its sleeve.
“Disjointed” is produced by Chuck Lorre, the mastermind behind Middle-America powerhouses “The Big Bang Theory,” and “Two and a Half Men.”
Depending on your taste in television, this may be a major selling point or a total bummer. Either way, there’s no denying that Lorre knows how to make a hit TV series.
Bates is also a safe bet. The Academy-Award Winning actress is beloved for her roles as the chilling Annie Wilkes in “Misery,” and the Unsinkable Molly Brown in James Cameron’s “Titanic” (the second-highest grossing film in box office history.)
Bates has also successfully branched out into television, winning an Emmy in 2012 for her guest appearance on “Two and a half Men,” and again in 2014 for best supporting actress on “American Horror Story.” And while she’s not traditionally known as a comedic actor, any child of the ‘90s can quote one of her lines as Mama Boucher in the Adam Sandler comedy “The Waterboy.”
Twenty episodes of ‘Disjointed’ are set to premier on August 25, and like it or not, Netflix is likely aiming for a safe show with mass appeal.
But if the project is successful, it could open doors for new edgier cannabis themed shows, and maybe even help marijuana become as commonplace in American television as sex, alcohol and Charlie Sheen.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Retired NFL Players Take The Next Step; Opening a Marijuana Dispensary | The Emerald Report
THE EMERALD REPORT
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Rio Dell’s Downtown May Soon Have Three Weed Stores
- Humboldt County Growers, Manufacturers Show Out Strong at the 2019 NorCal Cannabis Cup
- (UPDATE: Letter Approved) Supes May Ask State Officials to Close ‘Loophole’ Allowing High-CBD Cannabis to be Grown as Hemp
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Will a Lapse in the County’s Hemp Moratorium Inadvertently Open the Floodgates for Industrial Cultivation?
- County Looks to Extend Moratorium on Industrial Hemp Cultivation While Developing New Rules and Regulations
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony’s Krayzie Bone Visits Humboldt for His New Weed Brand, Looks at Pretty Ocean Views
- Marijuana Business Daily: What’s next in New York and New Jersey? Marijuana business experts weigh in
- Cannabis Law Report: Australia: Game On… NSW Bar Association Says It’s Time To Decriminalise Ice & Other Drugs
- Cannabis Law Report: Hawaii Gov Accedes To Cannabis Decriminalization
- Cannabis Law Report: NORML: New Mexico: New Marijuana Decriminalization Law Goes Into Effect Next Week
- Cannabis Law Report: Illinois: Pritzker Puts Pen To Paper On Recreational Bill
- Cannabis Law Report: California cannabis grower sues another under federal racketeering statutes
- Cannabis Law Report: CA: Proposed bill prevents California Veterinary Medical Board from taking special enforcement against vets who recommend cannabis products,
- The Emerald Magazine : Columbia Care Launches Cannabis Friendly Credit Card
- High Times News: Two Plead Guilty to Using United States Postal Service to Traffic Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: California marijuana vape cartridges required to include universal symbol