WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Nov. 27, 2017 @ 8:50 a.m.
Weed Feed: Doctors Document ‘First Reported Pediatric Death Associated With Cannabis Exposure,’ Misleading Headlines Ensue
A medical case report claiming that the death of an 11-month-old boy from Denver was associated with the high levels of THC found in the child’s system is stirring up misleading headlines.
The incident occurred in 2015, when the child was reportedly taken to the hospital after suffering from seizures and died of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) shortly after.
However, the case report, which poison control doctors Thomas Nappe and Christopher Hoyte published in March, left the cause of child’s death open to interpretation.
“As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis exposure,” Nappe and Hoyte wrote in the report.
This sentence allowed news outlets to run with spicy headlines, like “Baby Boy is first marijuana overdose death, doctors claim.” A flurry of news reports were put out on the case earlier this month, some featuring retracting statements from the doctors.
“We’re not saying definitively that marijuana caused the myocarditis,” Hoyte told the Cannabist earlier this month. “All we are saying is we didn’t find any other reasons. So we need to study this further.”
Other doctors, like emergency medicine specialist Noah Kaufman, who works out of Northern Colorado, have said Nappe and Hoyte’s claims are too bold.
“That statement is too much. It’s too much as far as I’m concerned,” Kaufman told KUSA reporters. “Because that is saying confidently that this is the first case. ‘We’ve got one!’ And I still disagree with that.”
He expanded on his argument in a Washington Post article that was published on Nov. 17.
“You just can’t make those statements because then what happens is lay people say, ‘Oh my God, did you hear a kid died from marijuana poisoning?’ and it can be sensationalized,” Kaufman told the Washington Post. “It’s not based on reality. It’s based on somebody kind of jumping the gun and making a conclusion, and scientifically you can’t do that.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 20 Show
- March 18 Show
- February 19 Show
- January 15 Show
- November 20 Show
- October 16 Show
- September 18 Show
- August 21 Show
From the Outpost
- County Awards $180,000 in Cannabis Micro-Grants via Project Trellis
- STATS: Over 200,000 Cannabis Plants Eradicated by Humboldt Sheriff’s Office During 2019 Season
- WEED GODS: Humboldt Now Has the Most Cultivation Licenses, Most Farms and Most Production Acreage in the State
- Sheriff Says the Number of Illegal Pot Farms is Dwindling, But Many Remaining Outlaws Are Back to Hiding Indoors
- Bring On the ‘Grown in Humboldt’ Labels: Governor Signs McGuire Bill That Protects Cannabis Appellations
- Attention Un-permitted Small-Scale Weed Farmers: You Can Still Get Your Application Processed in Time for 2020 Grow Season, County Says
- OPERATION ‘GREEN WAVE’: One Arrested at Unpermitted Grow Off Highway 36
- Did You Mean to Get Your Cannabis Cultivation Permit But Just, Like, SPACED IT? You Have Three Months to Un-Space Yourself
- Wikileaf: Mass. Eases Pot Shop Restrictions, But Retailers Are Still Struggling
- Wikileaf: Wikileaf Launches New Products to Aid Cannabis Retailers Amid COVID-19 Crisis
- High Times News: Data Shows Decrease In Marijuana Arrests in Virginia In 2019
- High Times News: California Cannabis Retailers Looted During Protests Turned Riots
- High Times News: Qué Dice el Estudio Latinoamericano Sobre CBD y Epilepsia
- High Times News: New Zealand to Consider Referendum on Legal Cannabis
- High Times News: Montana Improves Access for Medical Marijuana Patients
- High Times News: Evidence of Ancient Cannabis Use Found at Biblical Site in Israel
- Wikileaf: NYC’s Ban on Pre-employment Cannabis Testing Begins
- High Times News: Magic Truffles Firm Gets Canadian Stock Market Listing