WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Nov. 27, 2017 @ 8:50 a.m.
Weed Feed: Doctors Document ‘First Reported Pediatric Death Associated With Cannabis Exposure,’ Misleading Headlines Ensue
A medical case report claiming that the death of an 11-month-old boy from Denver was associated with the high levels of THC found in the child’s system is stirring up misleading headlines.
The incident occurred in 2015, when the child was reportedly taken to the hospital after suffering from seizures and died of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) shortly after.
However, the case report, which poison control doctors Thomas Nappe and Christopher Hoyte published in March, left the cause of child’s death open to interpretation.
“As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis exposure,” Nappe and Hoyte wrote in the report.
This sentence allowed news outlets to run with spicy headlines, like “Baby Boy is first marijuana overdose death, doctors claim.” A flurry of news reports were put out on the case earlier this month, some featuring retracting statements from the doctors.
“We’re not saying definitively that marijuana caused the myocarditis,” Hoyte told the Cannabist earlier this month. “All we are saying is we didn’t find any other reasons. So we need to study this further.”
Other doctors, like emergency medicine specialist Noah Kaufman, who works out of Northern Colorado, have said Nappe and Hoyte’s claims are too bold.
“That statement is too much. It’s too much as far as I’m concerned,” Kaufman told KUSA reporters. “Because that is saying confidently that this is the first case. ‘We’ve got one!’ And I still disagree with that.”
He expanded on his argument in a Washington Post article that was published on Nov. 17.
“You just can’t make those statements because then what happens is lay people say, ‘Oh my God, did you hear a kid died from marijuana poisoning?’ and it can be sensationalized,” Kaufman told the Washington Post. “It’s not based on reality. It’s based on somebody kind of jumping the gun and making a conclusion, and scientifically you can’t do that.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
- How Much Money?
From the Outpost
- Legal Weed Summit to Be Held in Ukiah Next Week; McGuire, Wood Will Host ‘First 60 Days of Prop 64’ Hearing
- ‘You Are Sucking Us Dry’: Growers Descend on Supervisors Meeting to Protest Cannabis Fees, Taxes
- California Growers Association Sues State Over Loophole in Pot Farm Size Limits
- Just ‘Cause Weed’s Legal Now Doesn’t Mean You Can Smoke (or Ingest or Vape) It In Public, Eureka Reminds You
- Water District Says Proposed Mercer-Fraser Marijuana Facility Threatens Health and Safety of Two of Every Three County Residents
- If You Want to Weigh In on the County’s Commercial Cannabis Land Use Ordinance, Thursday’s Your Chance
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions to Rescind Obama-Era Memo Protecting States’ Rights on Marijuana Legalization
- Pair of Local Marijuana Entrepreneurs, Including Founder of Jack’s Hand Cleaner, Busted in Tennessee Airport With More Than 150 Pounds of Weed, Cops Say
- Cannabis Law Report: California: Approves First Surety Bond Program For Cannabis Sector
- Emerald Report: Forgot about that joint? Las Vegas airport lets people dump pot
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #22: Raising (Hell in) Arizona
- Leafly: UK Parliament Members Blame Own Party for Blocking Medical Cannabis Vote
- Marijuana Business Daily: Study: Marijuana use in Canada doubled in 30-year span
- Leafly: The 7 Best Blunt Wraps for a Healthier, Tobacco-Free Smoke
- Marijuana Business Daily: Pennsylvania misses hemp target, but expansion still coming
- Leafly: How Does Cannabis Consumption Affect Heart Rate?
- High Times News: These 12 States Could Pass Marijuana Laws This Year
- Leafly: California City Cuts Cannabis Taxes, Others Expected to Follow