WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Nov. 27, 2017 @ 8:50 a.m.
Weed Feed: Doctors Document ‘First Reported Pediatric Death Associated With Cannabis Exposure,’ Misleading Headlines Ensue
A medical case report claiming that the death of an 11-month-old boy from Denver was associated with the high levels of THC found in the child’s system is stirring up misleading headlines.
The incident occurred in 2015, when the child was reportedly taken to the hospital after suffering from seizures and died of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) shortly after.
However, the case report, which poison control doctors Thomas Nappe and Christopher Hoyte published in March, left the cause of child’s death open to interpretation.
“As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis exposure,” Nappe and Hoyte wrote in the report.
This sentence allowed news outlets to run with spicy headlines, like “Baby Boy is first marijuana overdose death, doctors claim.” A flurry of news reports were put out on the case earlier this month, some featuring retracting statements from the doctors.
“We’re not saying definitively that marijuana caused the myocarditis,” Hoyte told the Cannabist earlier this month. “All we are saying is we didn’t find any other reasons. So we need to study this further.”
Other doctors, like emergency medicine specialist Noah Kaufman, who works out of Northern Colorado, have said Nappe and Hoyte’s claims are too bold.
“That statement is too much. It’s too much as far as I’m concerned,” Kaufman told KUSA reporters. “Because that is saying confidently that this is the first case. ‘We’ve got one!’ And I still disagree with that.”
He expanded on his argument in a Washington Post article that was published on Nov. 17.
“You just can’t make those statements because then what happens is lay people say, ‘Oh my God, did you hear a kid died from marijuana poisoning?’ and it can be sensationalized,” Kaufman told the Washington Post. “It’s not based on reality. It’s based on somebody kind of jumping the gun and making a conclusion, and scientifically you can’t do that.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
From the Outpost
- 3,075 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized, Various Violations Observed, One Arrested During Raid Near Dinsmore
- Multi-Agency Trinity County Marijuana Grow Site Clean Up; Helicopter Used to Remove 31 Miles of Irrigation Hose, 21,000+ lbs. of Equipment
- Proposed Arcata Cannabis Ordinance Would Limit Permits to 15 Businesses, Restrict Sales in Plaza Shops
- Three Arrested, Thousands of Marijuana Plants Destroyed, $3 Million Cash Seized During Last Week’s Raids on Unregulated Grow Sites
- Supervisors Pass County Weed Ordinance Version 2.0
- People on the Street: Is 420 Still a Thing?
- Happy 4/20! Supervisor Estelle Fennell Elected President of Multi-County California Cannabis Authority
- (UPDATE: NOT YET) Busting Pot Farms From Space: Supervisors (MAY) Approve Contract With Company Offering High-Res Satellite Imagery to Assist With Code Enforcement
- Cannabis Law Report: Marijuana Policy Project Does The Hard Yards But Industry Businesses Who Reap The Rewards Not Providing The Financial Support
- The Cannifornian: Canadian senate passes marijuana bill, but legalization is delayed
- The Cannifornian: Backers of the Chalice festival sue California cannabis chief, Victorville over event permit
- Marijuana Business Daily: Canada ends cannabis prohibition in ‘historic’ vote to legalize recreational use
- Leafly: The Canadian Senate Passes the Cannabis Act!
- Leafly: Autism and Cannabis: Here’s What the Science Says
- The Cannifornian: You can now find marijuana laws for every California city using your Amazon Alexa
- Leafly: Is This the UK’s ‘Charlotte’s Web’ Moment?
- The Cannifornian: Commercial cannabis in Oroville on council agenda today
- Leafly: The Good Doctor