WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Nov. 27 @ 8:50 a.m.
Weed Feed: Doctors Document ‘First Reported Pediatric Death Associated With Cannabis Exposure,’ Misleading Headlines Ensue
A medical case report claiming that the death of an 11-month-old boy from Denver was associated with the high levels of THC found in the child’s system is stirring up misleading headlines.
The incident occurred in 2015, when the child was reportedly taken to the hospital after suffering from seizures and died of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) shortly after.
However, the case report, which poison control doctors Thomas Nappe and Christopher Hoyte published in March, left the cause of child’s death open to interpretation.
“As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis exposure,” Nappe and Hoyte wrote in the report.
This sentence allowed news outlets to run with spicy headlines, like “Baby Boy is first marijuana overdose death, doctors claim.” A flurry of news reports were put out on the case earlier this month, some featuring retracting statements from the doctors.
“We’re not saying definitively that marijuana caused the myocarditis,” Hoyte told the Cannabist earlier this month. “All we are saying is we didn’t find any other reasons. So we need to study this further.”
Other doctors, like emergency medicine specialist Noah Kaufman, who works out of Northern Colorado, have said Nappe and Hoyte’s claims are too bold.
“That statement is too much. It’s too much as far as I’m concerned,” Kaufman told KUSA reporters. “Because that is saying confidently that this is the first case. ‘We’ve got one!’ And I still disagree with that.”
He expanded on his argument in a Washington Post article that was published on Nov. 17.
“You just can’t make those statements because then what happens is lay people say, ‘Oh my God, did you hear a kid died from marijuana poisoning?’ and it can be sensationalized,” Kaufman told the Washington Post. “It’s not based on reality. It’s based on somebody kind of jumping the gun and making a conclusion, and scientifically you can’t do that.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
From the Outpost
- (VIDEO) Confused on How to Register Your Cannabiz? Cheech Will Help You!
- WHAT WE FOUND THERE: Stories From Humboldt’s Marijuana Culture
- Anxiety Runs High as Marijuana Legalization Puts Humboldt County’s Economy at a Crossroads
- 3,000 lbs. of Marijuana Seized and Destroyed After DEU Serves Warrants on Highway 36 Properties
- PRICE SUPPORTS FOR GROWERS! North Coast’s Legislative Delegation Lobbies State Weed Official to Keep Cannabis Production Tiny
- These are the Rules You Must Follow if You Want to Sell Marijuana in California Next Year
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow, Say Rangers
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow
- Cannabis Culture: Weed and Wine Tours in California
- Cannabis Culture: California Cannabis Farm Partners with Florist to Create Wacky Weed Holiday Wreaths
- The Cannabist: After a hot summer, Colorado's cannabis sales cool down
- Leafly: Coffee Shop Wants to Be Denver’s First Legal Cannabis Club
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Gelt
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Sufganiyot
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Potato Latkes
- Leafly: 3 Ways to Infuse Your Hanukkah Recipes With Cannabis
- Leafly: Opioid Crisis: Trump Prescribes Heavy Dose of ‘Alternative Facts’
- The Cannifornian: 10 steps to starting a marijuana business in California