WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Nov. 6, 2017 @ 10:38 a.m.
Weed Feed: FDA Warns Companies to Stop Making Unproven Claims That Cannabis Can Prevent, Cure Cancer
The FDA has sent out a warning letter to several companies making unfounded claims that their cannabis products can prevent, slow or cure serious diseases like cancer and Alzheimer’s.
According to a statement put out by the FDA last week, the federal agency has requested the companies correct these fraudulent claims or face legal action, including product seizure and injunction.
FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said in the statement that the federal agency will not allow marijuana companies to prey on sick people by claiming their products offer unproven health benefits.
“Substances that contain components of marijuana will be treated like any other products that make unproven claims to shrink cancer tumors. We don’t let companies market products that deliberately prey on sick people with baseless claims that their substance can shrink or cure cancer and we’re not going to look the other way on enforcing these principles when it comes to marijuana-containing products,” Gottlieb said. “There are a growing number of effective therapies for many cancers. When people are allowed to illegally market agents that deliver no established benefit they may steer patients away from products that have proven anti-tumor effects that could extend lives.”
The FDA claims that all four companies made unsubstantiated claims tied to more than 25 different products through web pages, online stores and social media posts.
“We have an obligation to provide caregivers and patients with the confidence that drugs making cancer treatment claims have been carefully evaluated for safety, efficacy, and quality, and are monitored by the FDA once they’re on the market,” Gottlieb said. “We recognize that there’s interest in developing therapies from marijuana and its components, but the safest way for this to occur is through the drug approval process – not through unsubstantiated claims made on a website. We support sound, scientifically-based research using components derived from marijuana, and we’ll continue to work with product developers who are interested in bringing safe, effective and quality products to market.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
From the Outpost
- Stats for Humboldt Sheriff’s Office’s Week of Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raids
- More Search Warrants Served, More Marijuana Eradicated at Unpermitted Humboldt Grow Sites
- Humboldt Sheriff’s Office Gets Sassy With Its Hashtags During Unpermitted Weed Grow Raids; 13,000+ Marijuana Plants Eradicated
- Arcata’s New Cannabis Ordinance Goes into Effect Today and It May Allow More Sales Than It Seems
- Humboldt Growers See Opportunity as the State’s New Cannabis Rules Cause Bottlenecks in the Supply Chain
- Humboldt County Gets Its Own Regional Office of the Bureau of Cannabis Control
- 1,924 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized at Unpermitted Grow Near Dinsmore
- 3,075 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized, Various Violations Observed, One Arrested During Raid Near Dinsmore
- The Cannifornian: Marijuana suspected after driver rear-ends car with California state controller aboard
- Cannabis Law Report: WSWA (The Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America) Press Release Favours States Rights On regulated Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: ‘Trifecta of Opportunity Within One Plant’: Prairie Hemp Farmers Could Win Big With New Cannabis Rules
- Cannabis Culture: A Bethlehem Woman’s Uneasy Journey From Opioids to Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: David Staples: New Lamp That Mimics the Sun Has Major Impact on Cannabis Growing
- Merry Jane: Capture Your Kush Lifestyle in MERRY JANE’s Broccoli Bash Challenge With SESH
- Cannabis Law Report: Billboard Report: “Chalice Festival Sues Bureau of Cannabis Control as Weed-Centric Events Battle With Legalization”
- High Times News: First Alcohol Association Supports Recreational Marijuana
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #42: Bugs, Bulldozers, and CBD Porn
- Marijuana Business Daily: Lawsuits filed in Oklahoma target strict new medical marijuana rules