WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 2 @ 10:45 a.m.
Weed Feed: New Study Links Dabbing to Increased Levels of Carcinogens and Toxins in Cannabis Concentrates
A new study published in the American Chemical Society’s ACS Omega last month claims that dabbing may expose marijuana users to higher levels of carcinogens and toxins compared to other forms of cannabis ingestion.
Researchers at Portland State University found that the amount of carcinogens and toxins in the smokable vapor increased when concentrates were exposed to heat levels used in the dabbing process.
According to the study, Forbes reports, concentrates exposed to high temperatures produced vapor with increased levels of methacrolein — a “noxious irritant” — and benzene, a known carcinogen.
Researchers also stated in the study that while there’s a growing demand for cannabis concentrates in the U.S., the products have not been extensively investigated.
“The results of these studies clearly indicate that dabbing, although considered a form of vaporization, may, in fact, deliver significant amounts of [toxins],” researchers wrote. “The difficulty users find in controlling the nail temperature put[s] users at risk of exposing themselves to not only methacrolein but also benzene.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
From the Outpost
- (VIDEO) Confused on How to Register Your Cannabiz? Cheech Will Help You!
- WHAT WE FOUND THERE: Stories From Humboldt’s Marijuana Culture
- Anxiety Runs High as Marijuana Legalization Puts Humboldt County’s Economy at a Crossroads
- 3,000 lbs. of Marijuana Seized and Destroyed After DEU Serves Warrants on Highway 36 Properties
- PRICE SUPPORTS FOR GROWERS! North Coast’s Legislative Delegation Lobbies State Weed Official to Keep Cannabis Production Tiny
- These are the Rules You Must Follow if You Want to Sell Marijuana in California Next Year
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow, Say Rangers
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow
- Cannabis Culture: Weed and Wine Tours in California
- Cannabis Culture: California Cannabis Farm Partners with Florist to Create Wacky Weed Holiday Wreaths
- The Cannabist: After a hot summer, Colorado's cannabis sales cool down
- Leafly: Coffee Shop Wants to Be Denver’s First Legal Cannabis Club
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Gelt
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Sufganiyot
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Potato Latkes
- Leafly: 3 Ways to Infuse Your Hanukkah Recipes With Cannabis
- Leafly: Opioid Crisis: Trump Prescribes Heavy Dose of ‘Alternative Facts’
- The Cannifornian: 10 steps to starting a marijuana business in California