WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 2, 2017 @ 10:45 a.m.
Weed Feed: New Study Links Dabbing to Increased Levels of Carcinogens and Toxins in Cannabis Concentrates
A new study published in the American Chemical Society’s ACS Omega last month claims that dabbing may expose marijuana users to higher levels of carcinogens and toxins compared to other forms of cannabis ingestion.
Researchers at Portland State University found that the amount of carcinogens and toxins in the smokable vapor increased when concentrates were exposed to heat levels used in the dabbing process.
According to the study, Forbes reports, concentrates exposed to high temperatures produced vapor with increased levels of methacrolein — a “noxious irritant” — and benzene, a known carcinogen.
Researchers also stated in the study that while there’s a growing demand for cannabis concentrates in the U.S., the products have not been extensively investigated.
“The results of these studies clearly indicate that dabbing, although considered a form of vaporization, may, in fact, deliver significant amounts of [toxins],” researchers wrote. “The difficulty users find in controlling the nail temperature put[s] users at risk of exposing themselves to not only methacrolein but also benzene.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Unpermitted SoHum Marijuana Grow Raided; 4,988 Plants Eradicated
- THE HOBELMANN REPORT: Cannabis Commerce Descends On Fortuna at HCGA’s ‘Meet the Buyers’ Event
- One Arrested, 10,211 Plants Eradicated During Marijuana Grow Raid Near Dinsmore
- Big SoHum Marijuana Grow Raid; 21,053 Plants Eradicated; Over 3,400 Pounds Destroyed
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid on Berry Summit; 4,834 Plants Eradicated
- Sheriff’s Office Seizes $36k During Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid; 854 Plants Eradicated
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raided Near Blake Mountain; Cultivation Evidence Found on Adjacent Forest Service Land
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid in Rancho Sequoia; 1,336 Plants Eradicated
- Marijuana Business Daily: Weekly Deal Watch: Cannabis real estate a hot target for investment
- High Times News: Gov. Cuomo Passes Law in NY to Allow Medical Cannabis as Opioid Alternative
- Cannabis Law Report: There’s Still Pushback In The NJ Legislature Over Cannabis Regulation
- Cannabis Law Report: California Administrative Court Rules That 5 Yr Old Can Take Medicinal Cannabis To School
- High Times News: FBI Data Shows Cannabis Arrests are on the Rise for Second Year in a Row
- High Times News: Activists in Oregon Fight for the Public Consumption of Cannabis
- Leafly: Oregon Craft Cannabis Strains, by the Terpene
- High Times News: Thai Police Give Researchers 220 Pounds Of Seized Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: Marijuana retailer Green Growth Brands upsized CA$85 million raise
- Leafly: Missouri Has Three Legalization Measures. Two Are Very Odd