WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 2, 2017 @ 10:45 a.m.
Weed Feed: New Study Links Dabbing to Increased Levels of Carcinogens and Toxins in Cannabis Concentrates
A new study published in the American Chemical Society’s ACS Omega last month claims that dabbing may expose marijuana users to higher levels of carcinogens and toxins compared to other forms of cannabis ingestion.
Researchers at Portland State University found that the amount of carcinogens and toxins in the smokable vapor increased when concentrates were exposed to heat levels used in the dabbing process.
According to the study, Forbes reports, concentrates exposed to high temperatures produced vapor with increased levels of methacrolein — a “noxious irritant” — and benzene, a known carcinogen.
Researchers also stated in the study that while there’s a growing demand for cannabis concentrates in the U.S., the products have not been extensively investigated.
“The results of these studies clearly indicate that dabbing, although considered a form of vaporization, may, in fact, deliver significant amounts of [toxins],” researchers wrote. “The difficulty users find in controlling the nail temperature put[s] users at risk of exposing themselves to not only methacrolein but also benzene.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
- How Much Money?
From the Outpost
- Legal Weed Summit to Be Held in Ukiah Next Week; McGuire, Wood Will Host ‘First 60 Days of Prop 64’ Hearing
- ‘You Are Sucking Us Dry’: Growers Descend on Supervisors Meeting to Protest Cannabis Fees, Taxes
- California Growers Association Sues State Over Loophole in Pot Farm Size Limits
- Just ‘Cause Weed’s Legal Now Doesn’t Mean You Can Smoke (or Ingest or Vape) It In Public, Eureka Reminds You
- Water District Says Proposed Mercer-Fraser Marijuana Facility Threatens Health and Safety of Two of Every Three County Residents
- If You Want to Weigh In on the County’s Commercial Cannabis Land Use Ordinance, Thursday’s Your Chance
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions to Rescind Obama-Era Memo Protecting States’ Rights on Marijuana Legalization
- Pair of Local Marijuana Entrepreneurs, Including Founder of Jack’s Hand Cleaner, Busted in Tennessee Airport With More Than 150 Pounds of Weed, Cops Say
- Cannabis Law Report: California: Approves First Surety Bond Program For Cannabis Sector
- Emerald Report: Forgot about that joint? Las Vegas airport lets people dump pot
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #22: Raising (Hell in) Arizona
- Leafly: UK Parliament Members Blame Own Party for Blocking Medical Cannabis Vote
- Marijuana Business Daily: Study: Marijuana use in Canada doubled in 30-year span
- Leafly: The 7 Best Blunt Wraps for a Healthier, Tobacco-Free Smoke
- Marijuana Business Daily: Pennsylvania misses hemp target, but expansion still coming
- Leafly: How Does Cannabis Consumption Affect Heart Rate?
- High Times News: These 12 States Could Pass Marijuana Laws This Year
- Leafly: California City Cuts Cannabis Taxes, Others Expected to Follow