WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 2 @ 10:45 a.m.
Weed Feed: New Study Links Dabbing to Increased Levels of Carcinogens and Toxins in Cannabis Concentrates
A new study published in the American Chemical Society’s ACS Omega last month claims that dabbing may expose marijuana users to higher levels of carcinogens and toxins compared to other forms of cannabis ingestion.
Researchers at Portland State University found that the amount of carcinogens and toxins in the smokable vapor increased when concentrates were exposed to heat levels used in the dabbing process.
According to the study, Forbes reports, concentrates exposed to high temperatures produced vapor with increased levels of methacrolein — a “noxious irritant” — and benzene, a known carcinogen.
Researchers also stated in the study that while there’s a growing demand for cannabis concentrates in the U.S., the products have not been extensively investigated.
“The results of these studies clearly indicate that dabbing, although considered a form of vaporization, may, in fact, deliver significant amounts of [toxins],” researchers wrote. “The difficulty users find in controlling the nail temperature put[s] users at risk of exposing themselves to not only methacrolein but also benzene.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
From the Outpost
- HARDIN: Please Don’t Scare the Trimmigrants
- With Its Weed Business Booming, City of Rio Dell Makes Pitch for Cannabis Tax on November Ballot
- Garberville Sanitary District Sez: Dudes, We Don’t Have Enough Municipal Water to Feed All Your Grow Ops
- (VIDEO) Kirsten Dunst on Humboldt Weed: ‘This is, Like, STUH-RONG Shit’
- Supervisors Opt to Prorate Cannabis Excise Tax, Place Moratorium on Weed Grows in Coastal Zone
- Suspected Hash Lab Explosion West of Willits Blows Hole in Roof of 30,000-Square-Foot Warehouse
- Environmental Leaders Say County’s Weed Ordinance and Draft EIR are Fine But Enforcement is Sorely Lacking
- These Marijuana Bills From Our State Reps Could Shape California’s Legal Weed Industry
- The Cannifornian: Placentia electrical fire reveals illegal marijuana grow
- The Cannabist: Introducing High Minded by The Cannabist
- Leafly: Everything You Need to Know About Pre-Filled Oil Vape Cartridges
- The Cannabist: NFL uses its muscle to endorse sentencing reform legislation
- The Cannifornian: Drug czar nominee withdraws from consideration after opioid revalations
- Cannabis Culture: Cory Booker Says War On Drugs Is A “Cancer”
- Leafly: Crowdfunding Site Cancels Aid to California Wildfire Victims—Because Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: How Not to Get Busted When Marijuana is Legal
- The Cannifornian: Pickup truck full of marijuana crashes outside Northern California fire station
- The Cannabist: Silicon Valley just got a cannabis trade association