WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 9, 2017 @ 10:18 a.m.
Weed Feed: Colorado Bans Edible Shapes That May Appeal to Children, Gov. Brown Strikes Down Similar Legislation in California
A new Colorado law designed to prevent children from accidentally ingesting cannabis edibles by restricting kid-friendly shapes went into effect this month.
Under House Bill 16-1436, edibles sold in Colorado are no longer allowed to be shaped like humans, animals, fruits or cartoons, the Cannabist reports.
The legislation comes a year after researchers from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus conducted a study which determined that accidental marijuana exposure increased among children after the state legalized recreational pot in 2012.
A creepy political ad by the organization Smart Colorado.
Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed similar legislation in California on Friday. The proposed bill would have prevented edibles in California from being shaped as people, animals, insects, or fruit, on the grounds that children may confuse them with regular candy.
“As currently drafted, this bill would chapter out specific provisions in the recently enacted trailer bill,” Brown stated in his veto message. “Therefore, I cannot sign it at this time.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Unpermitted SoHum Marijuana Grow Raided; 4,988 Plants Eradicated
- THE HOBELMANN REPORT: Cannabis Commerce Descends On Fortuna at HCGA’s ‘Meet the Buyers’ Event
- One Arrested, 10,211 Plants Eradicated During Marijuana Grow Raid Near Dinsmore
- Big SoHum Marijuana Grow Raid; 21,053 Plants Eradicated; Over 3,400 Pounds Destroyed
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid on Berry Summit; 4,834 Plants Eradicated
- Sheriff’s Office Seizes $36k During Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid; 854 Plants Eradicated
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raided Near Blake Mountain; Cultivation Evidence Found on Adjacent Forest Service Land
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid in Rancho Sequoia; 1,336 Plants Eradicated
- Marijuana Business Daily: Weekly Deal Watch: Cannabis real estate a hot target for investment
- High Times News: Gov. Cuomo Passes Law in NY to Allow Medical Cannabis as Opioid Alternative
- Cannabis Law Report: There’s Still Pushback In The NJ Legislature Over Cannabis Regulation
- Cannabis Law Report: California Administrative Court Rules That 5 Yr Old Can Take Medicinal Cannabis To School
- High Times News: FBI Data Shows Cannabis Arrests are on the Rise for Second Year in a Row
- High Times News: Activists in Oregon Fight for the Public Consumption of Cannabis
- Leafly: Oregon Craft Cannabis Strains, by the Terpene
- High Times News: Thai Police Give Researchers 220 Pounds Of Seized Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: Marijuana retailer Green Growth Brands upsized CA$85 million raise
- Leafly: Missouri Has Three Legalization Measures. Two Are Very Odd