WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 9 @ 10:18 a.m.
Weed Feed: Colorado Bans Edible Shapes That May Appeal to Children, Gov. Brown Strikes Down Similar Legislation in California
A new Colorado law designed to prevent children from accidentally ingesting cannabis edibles by restricting kid-friendly shapes went into effect this month.
Under House Bill 16-1436, edibles sold in Colorado are no longer allowed to be shaped like humans, animals, fruits or cartoons, the Cannabist reports.
The legislation comes a year after researchers from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus conducted a study which determined that accidental marijuana exposure increased among children after the state legalized recreational pot in 2012.
A creepy political ad by the organization Smart Colorado.
Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed similar legislation in California on Friday. The proposed bill would have prevented edibles in California from being shaped as people, animals, insects, or fruit, on the grounds that children may confuse them with regular candy.
“As currently drafted, this bill would chapter out specific provisions in the recently enacted trailer bill,” Brown stated in his veto message. “Therefore, I cannot sign it at this time.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
From the Outpost
- HARDIN: Please Don’t Scare the Trimmigrants
- With Its Weed Business Booming, City of Rio Dell Makes Pitch for Cannabis Tax on November Ballot
- Garberville Sanitary District Sez: Dudes, We Don’t Have Enough Municipal Water to Feed All Your Grow Ops
- (VIDEO) Kirsten Dunst on Humboldt Weed: ‘This is, Like, STUH-RONG Shit’
- Supervisors Opt to Prorate Cannabis Excise Tax, Place Moratorium on Weed Grows in Coastal Zone
- Suspected Hash Lab Explosion West of Willits Blows Hole in Roof of 30,000-Square-Foot Warehouse
- Environmental Leaders Say County’s Weed Ordinance and Draft EIR are Fine But Enforcement is Sorely Lacking
- These Marijuana Bills From Our State Reps Could Shape California’s Legal Weed Industry
- The Cannifornian: Placentia electrical fire reveals illegal marijuana grow
- The Cannabist: Introducing High Minded by The Cannabist
- Leafly: Everything You Need to Know About Pre-Filled Oil Vape Cartridges
- The Cannabist: NFL uses its muscle to endorse sentencing reform legislation
- The Cannifornian: Drug czar nominee withdraws from consideration after opioid revalations
- Cannabis Culture: Cory Booker Says War On Drugs Is A “Cancer”
- Leafly: Crowdfunding Site Cancels Aid to California Wildfire Victims—Because Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: How Not to Get Busted When Marijuana is Legal
- The Cannifornian: Pickup truck full of marijuana crashes outside Northern California fire station
- The Cannabist: Silicon Valley just got a cannabis trade association