WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 9, 2017 @ 10:18 a.m.
Weed Feed: Colorado Bans Edible Shapes That May Appeal to Children, Gov. Brown Strikes Down Similar Legislation in California
A new Colorado law designed to prevent children from accidentally ingesting cannabis edibles by restricting kid-friendly shapes went into effect this month.
Under House Bill 16-1436, edibles sold in Colorado are no longer allowed to be shaped like humans, animals, fruits or cartoons, the Cannabist reports.
The legislation comes a year after researchers from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus conducted a study which determined that accidental marijuana exposure increased among children after the state legalized recreational pot in 2012.
A creepy political ad by the organization Smart Colorado.
Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed similar legislation in California on Friday. The proposed bill would have prevented edibles in California from being shaped as people, animals, insects, or fruit, on the grounds that children may confuse them with regular candy.
“As currently drafted, this bill would chapter out specific provisions in the recently enacted trailer bill,” Brown stated in his veto message. “Therefore, I cannot sign it at this time.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
From the Outpost
- 3,075 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized, Various Violations Observed, One Arrested During Raid Near Dinsmore
- Multi-Agency Trinity County Marijuana Grow Site Clean Up; Helicopter Used to Remove 31 Miles of Irrigation Hose, 21,000+ lbs. of Equipment
- Proposed Arcata Cannabis Ordinance Would Limit Permits to 15 Businesses, Restrict Sales in Plaza Shops
- Three Arrested, Thousands of Marijuana Plants Destroyed, $3 Million Cash Seized During Last Week’s Raids on Unregulated Grow Sites
- Supervisors Pass County Weed Ordinance Version 2.0
- People on the Street: Is 420 Still a Thing?
- Happy 4/20! Supervisor Estelle Fennell Elected President of Multi-County California Cannabis Authority
- (UPDATE: NOT YET) Busting Pot Farms From Space: Supervisors (MAY) Approve Contract With Company Offering High-Res Satellite Imagery to Assist With Code Enforcement
- Cannabis Law Report: Marijuana Policy Project Does The Hard Yards But Industry Businesses Who Reap The Rewards Not Providing The Financial Support
- The Cannifornian: Canadian senate passes marijuana bill, but legalization is delayed
- The Cannifornian: Backers of the Chalice festival sue California cannabis chief, Victorville over event permit
- Marijuana Business Daily: Canada ends cannabis prohibition in ‘historic’ vote to legalize recreational use
- Leafly: The Canadian Senate Passes the Cannabis Act!
- Leafly: Autism and Cannabis: Here’s What the Science Says
- The Cannifornian: You can now find marijuana laws for every California city using your Amazon Alexa
- Leafly: Is This the UK’s ‘Charlotte’s Web’ Moment?
- The Cannifornian: Commercial cannabis in Oroville on council agenda today
- Leafly: The Good Doctor