WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 9, 2017 @ 10:18 a.m.
Weed Feed: Colorado Bans Edible Shapes That May Appeal to Children, Gov. Brown Strikes Down Similar Legislation in California
A new Colorado law designed to prevent children from accidentally ingesting cannabis edibles by restricting kid-friendly shapes went into effect this month.
Under House Bill 16-1436, edibles sold in Colorado are no longer allowed to be shaped like humans, animals, fruits or cartoons, the Cannabist reports.
The legislation comes a year after researchers from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus conducted a study which determined that accidental marijuana exposure increased among children after the state legalized recreational pot in 2012.
A creepy political ad by the organization Smart Colorado.
Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed similar legislation in California on Friday. The proposed bill would have prevented edibles in California from being shaped as people, animals, insects, or fruit, on the grounds that children may confuse them with regular candy.
“As currently drafted, this bill would chapter out specific provisions in the recently enacted trailer bill,” Brown stated in his veto message. “Therefore, I cannot sign it at this time.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- November 20 Show
- October 16 Show
- September 18 Show
- August 21 Show
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
From the Outpost
- STATS: Over 200,000 Cannabis Plants Eradicated by Humboldt Sheriff’s Office During 2019 Season
- WEED GODS: Humboldt Now Has the Most Cultivation Licenses, Most Farms and Most Production Acreage in the State
- Sheriff Says the Number of Illegal Pot Farms is Dwindling, But Many Remaining Outlaws Are Back to Hiding Indoors
- Bring On the ‘Grown in Humboldt’ Labels: Governor Signs McGuire Bill That Protects Cannabis Appellations
- Attention Un-permitted Small-Scale Weed Farmers: You Can Still Get Your Application Processed in Time for 2020 Grow Season, County Says
- OPERATION ‘GREEN WAVE’: One Arrested at Unpermitted Grow Off Highway 36
- Did You Mean to Get Your Cannabis Cultivation Permit But Just, Like, SPACED IT? You Have Three Months to Un-Space Yourself
- OPERATION ‘WILD FISHER’: Weeklong Trespass Grow Cleanup Operation Hauls Tons of Trash, Miles of Water Lines Out of the Trinity Alps Wilderness
- Cannabis Law Report: NY Hemp Arrestee,Ronan Levy Seek $10 Million Compensation From NYPD
- Cannabis Law Report: EU Court Decision Says Cannabis Products Cannot Be Granted Trademarks
- Cannabis Law Report: Author Fined $US4.1 Million By SEC For Spruiking Israeli Cannabis Outfit
- Wikileaf: What Is Shatter and How Do You Make It?
- The Cannifornian: California’s budding cannabis industry prepares for another hit
- Leafly: Virginia jump-starts cannabis reform effort: No more ‘baby steps,’ lawmakers say
- High Times News: MLB To Remove Cannabis From List Of Abused Drugs, Will Test For Opioids And Cocaine
- Wikileaf: Same Day Cannabis Delivery Being Tested in Toronto
- High Times News: Peru Effectively Launches Its Medical Marijuana Program
- Leafly: Leafly’s faves 2019: cannabis vaporizers