WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 9, 2017 @ 10:18 a.m.
Weed Feed: Colorado Bans Edible Shapes That May Appeal to Children, Gov. Brown Strikes Down Similar Legislation in California
A new Colorado law designed to prevent children from accidentally ingesting cannabis edibles by restricting kid-friendly shapes went into effect this month.
Under House Bill 16-1436, edibles sold in Colorado are no longer allowed to be shaped like humans, animals, fruits or cartoons, the Cannabist reports.
The legislation comes a year after researchers from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus conducted a study which determined that accidental marijuana exposure increased among children after the state legalized recreational pot in 2012.
A creepy political ad by the organization Smart Colorado.
Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed similar legislation in California on Friday. The proposed bill would have prevented edibles in California from being shaped as people, animals, insects, or fruit, on the grounds that children may confuse them with regular candy.
“As currently drafted, this bill would chapter out specific provisions in the recently enacted trailer bill,” Brown stated in his veto message. “Therefore, I cannot sign it at this time.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
- How Much Money?
From the Outpost
- Legal Weed Summit to Be Held in Ukiah Next Week; McGuire, Wood Will Host ‘First 60 Days of Prop 64’ Hearing
- ‘You Are Sucking Us Dry’: Growers Descend on Supervisors Meeting to Protest Cannabis Fees, Taxes
- California Growers Association Sues State Over Loophole in Pot Farm Size Limits
- Just ‘Cause Weed’s Legal Now Doesn’t Mean You Can Smoke (or Ingest or Vape) It In Public, Eureka Reminds You
- Water District Says Proposed Mercer-Fraser Marijuana Facility Threatens Health and Safety of Two of Every Three County Residents
- If You Want to Weigh In on the County’s Commercial Cannabis Land Use Ordinance, Thursday’s Your Chance
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions to Rescind Obama-Era Memo Protecting States’ Rights on Marijuana Legalization
- Pair of Local Marijuana Entrepreneurs, Including Founder of Jack’s Hand Cleaner, Busted in Tennessee Airport With More Than 150 Pounds of Weed, Cops Say
- Cannabis Law Report: California: Approves First Surety Bond Program For Cannabis Sector
- Emerald Report: Forgot about that joint? Las Vegas airport lets people dump pot
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #22: Raising (Hell in) Arizona
- Leafly: UK Parliament Members Blame Own Party for Blocking Medical Cannabis Vote
- Marijuana Business Daily: Study: Marijuana use in Canada doubled in 30-year span
- Leafly: The 7 Best Blunt Wraps for a Healthier, Tobacco-Free Smoke
- Marijuana Business Daily: Pennsylvania misses hemp target, but expansion still coming
- Leafly: How Does Cannabis Consumption Affect Heart Rate?
- High Times News: These 12 States Could Pass Marijuana Laws This Year
- Leafly: California City Cuts Cannabis Taxes, Others Expected to Follow