WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 9, 2017 @ 10:18 a.m.
Weed Feed: Colorado Bans Edible Shapes That May Appeal to Children, Gov. Brown Strikes Down Similar Legislation in California
A new Colorado law designed to prevent children from accidentally ingesting cannabis edibles by restricting kid-friendly shapes went into effect this month.
Under House Bill 16-1436, edibles sold in Colorado are no longer allowed to be shaped like humans, animals, fruits or cartoons, the Cannabist reports.
The legislation comes a year after researchers from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus conducted a study which determined that accidental marijuana exposure increased among children after the state legalized recreational pot in 2012.
A creepy political ad by the organization Smart Colorado.
Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed similar legislation in California on Friday. The proposed bill would have prevented edibles in California from being shaped as people, animals, insects, or fruit, on the grounds that children may confuse them with regular candy.
“As currently drafted, this bill would chapter out specific provisions in the recently enacted trailer bill,” Brown stated in his veto message. “Therefore, I cannot sign it at this time.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 20 Show
- March 18 Show
- February 19 Show
- January 15 Show
- November 20 Show
- October 16 Show
- September 18 Show
- August 21 Show
From the Outpost
- County Awards $180,000 in Cannabis Micro-Grants via Project Trellis
- STATS: Over 200,000 Cannabis Plants Eradicated by Humboldt Sheriff’s Office During 2019 Season
- WEED GODS: Humboldt Now Has the Most Cultivation Licenses, Most Farms and Most Production Acreage in the State
- Sheriff Says the Number of Illegal Pot Farms is Dwindling, But Many Remaining Outlaws Are Back to Hiding Indoors
- Bring On the ‘Grown in Humboldt’ Labels: Governor Signs McGuire Bill That Protects Cannabis Appellations
- Attention Un-permitted Small-Scale Weed Farmers: You Can Still Get Your Application Processed in Time for 2020 Grow Season, County Says
- OPERATION ‘GREEN WAVE’: One Arrested at Unpermitted Grow Off Highway 36
- Did You Mean to Get Your Cannabis Cultivation Permit But Just, Like, SPACED IT? You Have Three Months to Un-Space Yourself
- Wikileaf: CBD Could Treat COVID-19 According to Preliminary Study
- High Times News: Colorado Pharmacy School Offering Grad School Education in Cannabis
- High Times News: New Jersey Is Finally Getting Medical Cannabis Delivery
- High Times News: Canadian Police Chiefs Call For Decriminalization Of Low-Level Drug Possession
- High Times News: Marijuana Violations Will No Longer Be Cited In Kansas City, MO
- Wikileaf: What is a Cannabis Dispensary? Know Before You Go
- High Times News: A Dozen Unlicensed Los Angeles Dispensaries Slapped with Tax Evasion
- High Times News: Oregon Will Vote On Legalizing Psilocybin In November
- High Times News: Ohio Rejects Autism And Anxiety, Adds Cachexia To Medical Marijuana Program
- High Times News: Joe Biden’s New Cannabis Policy Proposals Met With Criticism, Disappointment