WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 9 @ 10:18 a.m.
Weed Feed: Colorado Bans Edible Shapes That May Appeal to Children, Gov. Brown Strikes Down Similar Legislation in California
A new Colorado law designed to prevent children from accidentally ingesting cannabis edibles by restricting kid-friendly shapes went into effect this month.
Under House Bill 16-1436, edibles sold in Colorado are no longer allowed to be shaped like humans, animals, fruits or cartoons, the Cannabist reports.
The legislation comes a year after researchers from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus conducted a study which determined that accidental marijuana exposure increased among children after the state legalized recreational pot in 2012.
A creepy political ad by the organization Smart Colorado.
Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed similar legislation in California on Friday. The proposed bill would have prevented edibles in California from being shaped as people, animals, insects, or fruit, on the grounds that children may confuse them with regular candy.
“As currently drafted, this bill would chapter out specific provisions in the recently enacted trailer bill,” Brown stated in his veto message. “Therefore, I cannot sign it at this time.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
From the Outpost
- (VIDEO) Confused on How to Register Your Cannabiz? Cheech Will Help You!
- WHAT WE FOUND THERE: Stories From Humboldt’s Marijuana Culture
- Anxiety Runs High as Marijuana Legalization Puts Humboldt County’s Economy at a Crossroads
- 3,000 lbs. of Marijuana Seized and Destroyed After DEU Serves Warrants on Highway 36 Properties
- PRICE SUPPORTS FOR GROWERS! North Coast’s Legislative Delegation Lobbies State Weed Official to Keep Cannabis Production Tiny
- These are the Rules You Must Follow if You Want to Sell Marijuana in California Next Year
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow, Say Rangers
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow
- Cannabis Culture: Weed and Wine Tours in California
- Cannabis Culture: California Cannabis Farm Partners with Florist to Create Wacky Weed Holiday Wreaths
- The Cannabist: After a hot summer, Colorado's cannabis sales cool down
- Leafly: Coffee Shop Wants to Be Denver’s First Legal Cannabis Club
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Gelt
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Sufganiyot
- Leafly: Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Potato Latkes
- Leafly: 3 Ways to Infuse Your Hanukkah Recipes With Cannabis
- Leafly: Opioid Crisis: Trump Prescribes Heavy Dose of ‘Alternative Facts’
- The Cannifornian: 10 steps to starting a marijuana business in California