WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Sept. 18, 2017 @ 10 a.m.
Weed Feed: Gov. Jerry Brown Signs New Law Banning Any Cannabis Use On State Roadways
While driving intoxicated on cannabis was already illegal, no laws prevented California drivers or passengers from taking the edge off while cruising the road.
But last week, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill prohibiting drivers or passengers from using any form of cannabis on California roadways.
The LA Times reports that the measure was written by Sen. Jerry Hill in anticipation of recreational cannabis becoming legal this January.
The newly signed bill will soon allow officers to issue offending drivers or passengers a $70 fine.
In an interview with the Sacramento Bee, California Highway Patrol Drug Evaluation Coordinator Glen Glaser said that officers are trained to determine a driver’s level of intoxication based on categories and not one specific drug.
“Whether it be be depressive, stimulants — cannabis is a category, narcotics … we train [officers] to determine impairment based on a category, not a specific drug,” Glaser told reporters last year. “Our officers are trained to recognize impairment and that’s the key. Whether they’re impaired with cannabis or another substance, we want to take unsafe drivers off the road.”
Gov. Brown also vetoed another cannabis bill that would have — in theory — prevented marijuana packaging from appealing to kids.
KGTV in San Diego reports that Gov. Brown wrote a statement to California Senators regarding his decision, saying that current laws already prohibit cannabis products from being “attractive to children.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Smoking pot or tobacco at California beaches could soon be illegal under bills headed to Gov. Brown
Smoking pot while driving or riding in a car in California will soon be punishable with a fine
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
From the Outpost
- Stats for Humboldt Sheriff’s Office’s Week of Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raids
- More Search Warrants Served, More Marijuana Eradicated at Unpermitted Humboldt Grow Sites
- Humboldt Sheriff’s Office Gets Sassy With Its Hashtags During Unpermitted Weed Grow Raids; 13,000+ Marijuana Plants Eradicated
- Arcata’s New Cannabis Ordinance Goes into Effect Today and It May Allow More Sales Than It Seems
- Humboldt Growers See Opportunity as the State’s New Cannabis Rules Cause Bottlenecks in the Supply Chain
- Humboldt County Gets Its Own Regional Office of the Bureau of Cannabis Control
- 1,924 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized at Unpermitted Grow Near Dinsmore
- 3,075 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized, Various Violations Observed, One Arrested During Raid Near Dinsmore
- The Cannifornian: Marijuana suspected after driver rear-ends car with California state controller aboard
- Cannabis Law Report: WSWA (The Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America) Press Release Favours States Rights On regulated Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: ‘Trifecta of Opportunity Within One Plant’: Prairie Hemp Farmers Could Win Big With New Cannabis Rules
- Cannabis Culture: A Bethlehem Woman’s Uneasy Journey From Opioids to Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: David Staples: New Lamp That Mimics the Sun Has Major Impact on Cannabis Growing
- Merry Jane: Capture Your Kush Lifestyle in MERRY JANE’s Broccoli Bash Challenge With SESH
- Cannabis Law Report: Billboard Report: “Chalice Festival Sues Bureau of Cannabis Control as Weed-Centric Events Battle With Legalization”
- High Times News: First Alcohol Association Supports Recreational Marijuana
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #42: Bugs, Bulldozers, and CBD Porn
- Marijuana Business Daily: Lawsuits filed in Oklahoma target strict new medical marijuana rules