WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Sept. 18, 2017 @ 10 a.m.
Weed Feed: Gov. Jerry Brown Signs New Law Banning Any Cannabis Use On State Roadways
While driving intoxicated on cannabis was already illegal, no laws prevented California drivers or passengers from taking the edge off while cruising the road.
But last week, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill prohibiting drivers or passengers from using any form of cannabis on California roadways.
The LA Times reports that the measure was written by Sen. Jerry Hill in anticipation of recreational cannabis becoming legal this January.
The newly signed bill will soon allow officers to issue offending drivers or passengers a $70 fine.
In an interview with the Sacramento Bee, California Highway Patrol Drug Evaluation Coordinator Glen Glaser said that officers are trained to determine a driver’s level of intoxication based on categories and not one specific drug.
“Whether it be be depressive, stimulants — cannabis is a category, narcotics … we train [officers] to determine impairment based on a category, not a specific drug,” Glaser told reporters last year. “Our officers are trained to recognize impairment and that’s the key. Whether they’re impaired with cannabis or another substance, we want to take unsafe drivers off the road.”
Gov. Brown also vetoed another cannabis bill that would have — in theory — prevented marijuana packaging from appealing to kids.
KGTV in San Diego reports that Gov. Brown wrote a statement to California Senators regarding his decision, saying that current laws already prohibit cannabis products from being “attractive to children.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Smoking pot or tobacco at California beaches could soon be illegal under bills headed to Gov. Brown
Smoking pot while driving or riding in a car in California will soon be punishable with a fine
The Humboldt Chronicles
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
- How Much Money?
From the Outpost
- People on the Street: Is 420 Still a Thing?
- Happy 4/20! Supervisor Estelle Fennell Elected President of Multi-County California Cannabis Authority
- (UPDATE: NOT YET) Busting Pot Farms From Space: Supervisors (MAY) Approve Contract With Company Offering High-Res Satellite Imagery to Assist With Code Enforcement
- County Supervisors Ease Tax Burden on Weed Growers, Hire Attorneys to Sue Big Pharma’s Opioid Manufacturers
- Here’s What People Had to Say About the County’s Comprehensive New Weed Ordinance, Including the Proposed Cultivation Permit Cap
- County Supervisors Met Monday to Start Deliberating on Proposed New Weed Regs, Including a Permit Cap
- California Has Already Issued More than 2,000 Cannabis Cultivation Licenses. Are Growers Being Set Up to Fail?
- Two New Weed Stores on Eureka’s Fourth Street? City Council Set to Move Forward at Next’s Week’s Meeting
- Leafly: Tips for Improving Your Cannabis Soil on a Budget
- Marijuana Business Daily: Marijuana-infused products maker Dixie Brands lands $4M in funding
- Leafly: 12 Sugar-Free Cannabis Edibles for a Healthier High
- High Times News: Missouri House Approves Medical Marijuana Bill
- Cannabis Culture: Here Are America’s Best and Worst Governors on Weed
- The Cannifornian: Capitol Tracker: Cannabis banking, special event bills advance
- Marijuana Business Daily: Health Canada ‘open’ to medical marijuana sales through pharmacies
- High Times News: Kris Jenner Smokes A Joint on Camera
- Leafly: YouTube Continues its Cannabis Purge and Nobody Knows Why
- Leafly: Missouri House Moves to Legalize Medical Marijuana