WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Sept. 18, 2017 @ 10 a.m.
Weed Feed: Gov. Jerry Brown Signs New Law Banning Any Cannabis Use On State Roadways
While driving intoxicated on cannabis was already illegal, no laws prevented California drivers or passengers from taking the edge off while cruising the road.
But last week, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill prohibiting drivers or passengers from using any form of cannabis on California roadways.
The LA Times reports that the measure was written by Sen. Jerry Hill in anticipation of recreational cannabis becoming legal this January.
The newly signed bill will soon allow officers to issue offending drivers or passengers a $70 fine.
In an interview with the Sacramento Bee, California Highway Patrol Drug Evaluation Coordinator Glen Glaser said that officers are trained to determine a driver’s level of intoxication based on categories and not one specific drug.
“Whether it be be depressive, stimulants — cannabis is a category, narcotics … we train [officers] to determine impairment based on a category, not a specific drug,” Glaser told reporters last year. “Our officers are trained to recognize impairment and that’s the key. Whether they’re impaired with cannabis or another substance, we want to take unsafe drivers off the road.”
Gov. Brown also vetoed another cannabis bill that would have — in theory — prevented marijuana packaging from appealing to kids.
KGTV in San Diego reports that Gov. Brown wrote a statement to California Senators regarding his decision, saying that current laws already prohibit cannabis products from being “attractive to children.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Smoking pot or tobacco at California beaches could soon be illegal under bills headed to Gov. Brown
Smoking pot while driving or riding in a car in California will soon be punishable with a fine
The Humboldt Chronicles
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
From the Outpost
- (VIDEO) Masked Humboldt Pot Growers Dish to ‘Inside Edition’ About Murder Mountain: ‘It Ain’t No Joke’
- Arcata Might Soon Have Two New Places to Buy Legal Weed, Including Pacific Paradise
- Local Cannabis Company Taking Over the Ol’ Kmart Building in Eureka
- (UPDATE) Oregon Marijuana Company Leases 16,000-Square-Foot Bien Padre Factory in Eureka
- Humboldt Man Found Pushing Dolly Full of Weed East on Wyoming Highway
- 16,000 Pounds of Marijuana Seized, Over 30 People Detained at Grow Site East of Honeydew
- Ohio Man Arrested After Deputies Discover 500+ lbs. of Weed, Rifles with High-Capacity Magazines in Weaverville Commercial Building
- CANNABIS CARES: Local Cannabis Businesses Brave Pre-Thanksgiving Rain to Serve Area Homeless
- Marijuana Business Daily: British Columbia last in per-person legal cannabis sales, with few physical stores open
- Leafly: Massachusetts Sees $24M in Legal Cannabis Sales in First 2 months
- High Times News: Woman Arrested For Allegedly Feeding Dog Meth, Weed-Laced Milkshake
- High Times News: Study Shows More People Using Medical Marijuana in Place of Pharmaceuticals
- Leafly: Bloomberg Calls Legalization ‘Stupidest Thing Ever Done’
- Marijuana Business Daily: Law firm analysis: 79% of MA marijuana business contracts with municipalities illegal
- Leafly: New Study on Cannabis and Autism Supports Parents’ Longtime Claims
- Leafly: Did Doug Ford’s Daughter Break The Law by Promoting Illicit CBD Oil?
- Cannabis Law Report: Acreage Fail To Join The Ad Party Of The Year
- Marijuana Business Daily: Behind the Cover: Photos from Marijuana Business Magazine’s January Issue