WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Sept. 18, 2017 @ 10 a.m.
Weed Feed: Gov. Jerry Brown Signs New Law Banning Any Cannabis Use On State Roadways
While driving intoxicated on cannabis was already illegal, no laws prevented California drivers or passengers from taking the edge off while cruising the road.
But last week, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill prohibiting drivers or passengers from using any form of cannabis on California roadways.
The LA Times reports that the measure was written by Sen. Jerry Hill in anticipation of recreational cannabis becoming legal this January.
The newly signed bill will soon allow officers to issue offending drivers or passengers a $70 fine.
In an interview with the Sacramento Bee, California Highway Patrol Drug Evaluation Coordinator Glen Glaser said that officers are trained to determine a driver’s level of intoxication based on categories and not one specific drug.
“Whether it be be depressive, stimulants — cannabis is a category, narcotics … we train [officers] to determine impairment based on a category, not a specific drug,” Glaser told reporters last year. “Our officers are trained to recognize impairment and that’s the key. Whether they’re impaired with cannabis or another substance, we want to take unsafe drivers off the road.”
Gov. Brown also vetoed another cannabis bill that would have — in theory — prevented marijuana packaging from appealing to kids.
KGTV in San Diego reports that Gov. Brown wrote a statement to California Senators regarding his decision, saying that current laws already prohibit cannabis products from being “attractive to children.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Smoking pot or tobacco at California beaches could soon be illegal under bills headed to Gov. Brown
Smoking pot while driving or riding in a car in California will soon be punishable with a fine
The Humboldt Chronicles
From the Outpost
- Just ‘Cause Weed’s Legal Now Doesn’t Mean You Can Smoke (or Ingest or Vape) It In Public, Eureka Reminds You
- Water District Says Proposed Mercer-Fraser Marijuana Facility Threatens Health and Safety of Two of Every Three County Residents
- If You Want to Weigh In on the County’s Commercial Cannabis Land Use Ordinance, Thursday’s Your Chance
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions to Rescind Obama-Era Memo Protecting States’ Rights on Marijuana Legalization
- Pair of Local Marijuana Entrepreneurs, Including Founder of Jack’s Hand Cleaner, Busted in Tennessee Airport With More Than 150 Pounds of Weed, Cops Say
- Recreational Weed Sales Are Brisk as Second Humboldt Retail Outlet Gets State License
- (VIDEO) CNBC Show ‘The Profit’ Comes to ‘The Marijuana Capital of America’ (Guess Where That Is)
- Recreational Weed Sales Start Monday Statewide; Here’s Where You Can Buy It Locally
- Cannabis Law Report: Article – Norton Rose Fulbright (Canada): Health Canada’s proposed approach to the regulation of cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: Ontario Considers Licensing Cannabis Lounges
- Cannabis Culture: New York to Look at Legalizing Recreational Marijuana
- The Cannabist: Will medical marijuana make Nebraska's 2018 ballot?
- The Cannabist: Recreational marijuana sales launch in Los Angeles
- The Cannifornian: Cannabis Chicken Matzo Ball Soup to make Bubby jealous
- Leafly: What It’s Like to Get High in a Lloyd Wright House
- Emerald Report: Once pot-friendly Calaveras County in California bans marijuana
- 420 Intel: ECASSOC
- Leafly: What the Federal Shutdown Means for Medical Marijuana