WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 9:34 a.m.
Weed Feed: A Gram of Bud Costs Less Than $5 in Oregon Thanks to Overproduction
Rampant marijuana overproduction has plunged Oregon’s weed prices to new lows.
The Willamette Week reports that a gram of weed now costs as little as $4 at some Oregon pot shops.
Due to the ongoing issue of federal marijuana prohibition, businesses can’t legally ship their pot out of state. So when a state like Oregon reportedly grows three times more weed than it consumes, prices can only go down.
“The business has been up and down and up and down,” a former Oregon pot shop owner who had to shut his doors four months ago told the Willamette Week . “But in a lot of ways it has just been down and down for dispensaries.”
Hezekiah Allen, the executive director of the California Growers’ Association has estimated that California grows eight times more marijuana than it consumes. So unless growers are shipping excess weed out of state — which they almost certainly are — then California’s pot industry may soon bottom out like Oregon’s.
But there’s hope, as the federal government may be taking steps toward rescinding its ban on marijuana. Last week, President Trump promised to support congressional efforts to protect states’ rights to legalize marijuana. And on Friday, CNN reported that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer plans to propose legislation decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- October 16 Show
- September 18 Show
- August 21 Show
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
From the Outpost
- STATS: Over 200,000 Cannabis Plants Eradicated by Humboldt Sheriff’s Office During 2019 Season
- WEED GODS: Humboldt Now Has the Most Cultivation Licenses, Most Farms and Most Production Acreage in the State
- Sheriff Says the Number of Illegal Pot Farms is Dwindling, But Many Remaining Outlaws Are Back to Hiding Indoors
- Bring On the ‘Grown in Humboldt’ Labels: Governor Signs McGuire Bill That Protects Cannabis Appellations
- Attention Un-permitted Small-Scale Weed Farmers: You Can Still Get Your Application Processed in Time for 2020 Grow Season, County Says
- OPERATION ‘GREEN WAVE’: One Arrested at Unpermitted Grow Off Highway 36
- Did You Mean to Get Your Cannabis Cultivation Permit But Just, Like, SPACED IT? You Have Three Months to Un-Space Yourself
- OPERATION ‘WILD FISHER’: Weeklong Trespass Grow Cleanup Operation Hauls Tons of Trash, Miles of Water Lines Out of the Trinity Alps Wilderness
- Cannabis Law Report: Law 360 – Latest Cannabis Updates
- Cannabis Law Report: U.S. House Judiciary Committee approves cannabis reform bill (MORE) by a vote of 24-10
- Wikileaf: House Judiciary Committee Approves Historical MORE Act
- High Times News: House Judiciary Committee Approves Historic MORE Act
- The Emerald Magazine : U.S. House Judiciary Committee Passes MORE Act, Now What?
- High Times News: New Study: Cannabis May Reduce Illicit Opioid Use For Those With Chronic Pain
- Leafly: What is CBD oil? A beginner’s guide to cannabidiol extracts
- High Times News: Florida Lawmakers Introduce Bill to Waive Medical Marijuana Fee For Veterans
- Leafly: Time to vote: Leafly Readers’ Choice Awards
- Leafly: Nationwide cannabis legalization bill advances on Capitol Hill