WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Yesterday @ 9:34 a.m.
Weed Feed: A Gram of Bud Costs Less Than $5 in Oregon Thanks to Overproduction
Rampant marijuana overproduction has plunged Oregon’s weed prices to new lows.
The Willamette Week reports that a gram of weed now costs as little as $4 at some Oregon pot shops.
Due to the ongoing issue of federal marijuana prohibition, businesses can’t legally ship their pot out of state. So when a state like Oregon reportedly grows three times more weed than it consumes, prices can only go down.
“The business has been up and down and up and down,” a former Oregon pot shop owner who had to shut his doors four months ago told the Willamette Week . “But in a lot of ways it has just been down and down for dispensaries.”
Hezekiah Allen, the executive director of the California Growers’ Association has estimated that California grows eight times more marijuana than it consumes. So unless growers are shipping excess weed out of state — which they almost certainly are — then California’s pot industry may soon bottom out like Oregon’s.
But there’s hope, as the federal government may be taking steps toward rescinding its ban on marijuana. Last week, President Trump promised to support congressional efforts to protect states’ rights to legalize marijuana. And on Friday, CNN reported that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer plans to propose legislation decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
- How Much Money?
From the Outpost
- People on the Street: Is 420 Still a Thing?
- Happy 4/20! Supervisor Estelle Fennell Elected President of Multi-County California Cannabis Authority
- (UPDATE: NOT YET) Busting Pot Farms From Space: Supervisors (MAY) Approve Contract With Company Offering High-Res Satellite Imagery to Assist With Code Enforcement
- County Supervisors Ease Tax Burden on Weed Growers, Hire Attorneys to Sue Big Pharma’s Opioid Manufacturers
- Here’s What People Had to Say About the County’s Comprehensive New Weed Ordinance, Including the Proposed Cultivation Permit Cap
- County Supervisors Met Monday to Start Deliberating on Proposed New Weed Regs, Including a Permit Cap
- California Has Already Issued More than 2,000 Cannabis Cultivation Licenses. Are Growers Being Set Up to Fail?
- Two New Weed Stores on Eureka’s Fourth Street? City Council Set to Move Forward at Next’s Week’s Meeting
- Leafly: Tips for Improving Your Cannabis Soil on a Budget
- Marijuana Business Daily: Marijuana-infused products maker Dixie Brands lands $4M in funding
- Leafly: 12 Sugar-Free Cannabis Edibles for a Healthier High
- High Times News: Missouri House Approves Medical Marijuana Bill
- Cannabis Culture: Here Are America’s Best and Worst Governors on Weed
- The Cannifornian: Capitol Tracker: Cannabis banking, special event bills advance
- Marijuana Business Daily: Health Canada ‘open’ to medical marijuana sales through pharmacies
- High Times News: Kris Jenner Smokes A Joint on Camera
- Leafly: YouTube Continues its Cannabis Purge and Nobody Knows Why
- Leafly: Missouri House Moves to Legalize Medical Marijuana