WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, April 9, 2018 @ 9:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Synthetic Pot Laced With Rat Poison Possibly Linked to 94 Cases of ‘Life-Threatening’ Bleeding, CDC Says
Nearly 100 people around the Midwest have been treated for “serious unexplained bleeding” in the last month. Doctors say many of those cases may be linked to synthetic marijuana laced with rat poison brodifacoum.
A warning issued by the Center for Disease Control last week stated that 63 of the patients interviewed in Illinois — where an overwhelming majority of the cases have been reported — said they smoked synthetic weed.
“Laboratory investigation confirms brodifacoum exposure in at least 18 patients,” the CDC reports says. “There are two fatalities — both in Illinois. Illinois public health epidemiologists interviewed 63 patients, and they all reported synthetic cannabinoids use. At least three synthetic cannabinoid product samples related to this outbreak have tested positive for brodifacoum. A working hypothesis is the synthetic cannabinoids were contaminated with brodifacoum.”
The Illinois Department of Public Health reports that synthetic cannabinoids are “human-made, mind-altering chemicals that are either sprayed on dried, shredded plant material so they can be smoked or sold as liquids to be vaporized and inhaled in e-cigarettes.”
“These chemicals are called cannabinoids because they are similar to chemicals found in the marijuana plant,” the IDPH said in a statement last week. “Because of this similarity, synthetic cannabinoids are sometimes misleadingly called “synthetic marijuana” (or “fake weed”), and they are often marketed as safe, legal alternatives to that drug. In fact, they are not safe and may affect the brain much more powerfully than marijuana; their actual effects can be unpredictable and, in some cases, more dangerous or even life-threatening.”
The CDC reports that clinical signs of being poisoned by brodifacoum include “bruising, nosebleeds, bleeding gums, bleeding disproportionate to injury, vomiting blood, coughing up blood, blood in urine or stool, excessively heavy menstrual bleeding, back or flank pain, altered mental status, feeling faint or fainting, loss of consciousness, and collapse.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 20 Show
- March 18 Show
- February 19 Show
- January 15 Show
- November 20 Show
- October 16 Show
- September 18 Show
- August 21 Show
From the Outpost
- County Awards $180,000 in Cannabis Micro-Grants via Project Trellis
- STATS: Over 200,000 Cannabis Plants Eradicated by Humboldt Sheriff’s Office During 2019 Season
- WEED GODS: Humboldt Now Has the Most Cultivation Licenses, Most Farms and Most Production Acreage in the State
- Sheriff Says the Number of Illegal Pot Farms is Dwindling, But Many Remaining Outlaws Are Back to Hiding Indoors
- Bring On the ‘Grown in Humboldt’ Labels: Governor Signs McGuire Bill That Protects Cannabis Appellations
- Attention Un-permitted Small-Scale Weed Farmers: You Can Still Get Your Application Processed in Time for 2020 Grow Season, County Says
- OPERATION ‘GREEN WAVE’: One Arrested at Unpermitted Grow Off Highway 36
- Did You Mean to Get Your Cannabis Cultivation Permit But Just, Like, SPACED IT? You Have Three Months to Un-Space Yourself
- Wikileaf: CBD Could Treat COVID-19 According to Preliminary Study
- High Times News: Colorado Pharmacy School Offering Grad School Education in Cannabis
- High Times News: New Jersey Is Finally Getting Medical Cannabis Delivery
- High Times News: Canadian Police Chiefs Call For Decriminalization Of Low-Level Drug Possession
- High Times News: Marijuana Violations Will No Longer Be Cited In Kansas City, MO
- Wikileaf: What is a Cannabis Dispensary? Know Before You Go
- High Times News: A Dozen Unlicensed Los Angeles Dispensaries Slapped with Tax Evasion
- High Times News: Oregon Will Vote On Legalizing Psilocybin In November
- High Times News: Ohio Rejects Autism And Anxiety, Adds Cachexia To Medical Marijuana Program
- High Times News: Joe Biden’s New Cannabis Policy Proposals Met With Criticism, Disappointment