WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, April 9 @ 9:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Synthetic Pot Laced With Rat Poison Possibly Linked to 94 Cases of ‘Life-Threatening’ Bleeding, CDC Says
Nearly 100 people around the Midwest have been treated for “serious unexplained bleeding” in the last month. Doctors say many of those cases may be linked to synthetic marijuana laced with rat poison brodifacoum.
A warning issued by the Center for Disease Control last week stated that 63 of the patients interviewed in Illinois — where an overwhelming majority of the cases have been reported — said they smoked synthetic weed.
“Laboratory investigation confirms brodifacoum exposure in at least 18 patients,” the CDC reports says. “There are two fatalities — both in Illinois. Illinois public health epidemiologists interviewed 63 patients, and they all reported synthetic cannabinoids use. At least three synthetic cannabinoid product samples related to this outbreak have tested positive for brodifacoum. A working hypothesis is the synthetic cannabinoids were contaminated with brodifacoum.”
The Illinois Department of Public Health reports that synthetic cannabinoids are “human-made, mind-altering chemicals that are either sprayed on dried, shredded plant material so they can be smoked or sold as liquids to be vaporized and inhaled in e-cigarettes.”
“These chemicals are called cannabinoids because they are similar to chemicals found in the marijuana plant,” the IDPH said in a statement last week. “Because of this similarity, synthetic cannabinoids are sometimes misleadingly called “synthetic marijuana” (or “fake weed”), and they are often marketed as safe, legal alternatives to that drug. In fact, they are not safe and may affect the brain much more powerfully than marijuana; their actual effects can be unpredictable and, in some cases, more dangerous or even life-threatening.”
The CDC reports that clinical signs of being poisoned by brodifacoum include “bruising, nosebleeds, bleeding gums, bleeding disproportionate to injury, vomiting blood, coughing up blood, blood in urine or stool, excessively heavy menstrual bleeding, back or flank pain, altered mental status, feeling faint or fainting, loss of consciousness, and collapse.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
From the Outpost
- Multi-Agency Trinity County Marijuana Grow Site Clean Up; Helicopter Used to Remove 31 Miles of Irrigation Hose, 21,000+ lbs. of Equipment
- Proposed Arcata Cannabis Ordinance Would Limit Permits to 15 Businesses, Restrict Sales in Plaza Shops
- Three Arrested, Thousands of Marijuana Plants Destroyed, $3 Million Cash Seized During Last Week’s Raids on Unregulated Grow Sites
- Supervisors Pass County Weed Ordinance Version 2.0
- People on the Street: Is 420 Still a Thing?
- Happy 4/20! Supervisor Estelle Fennell Elected President of Multi-County California Cannabis Authority
- (UPDATE: NOT YET) Busting Pot Farms From Space: Supervisors (MAY) Approve Contract With Company Offering High-Res Satellite Imagery to Assist With Code Enforcement
- County Supervisors Ease Tax Burden on Weed Growers, Hire Attorneys to Sue Big Pharma’s Opioid Manufacturers
- Marijuana Business Daily: New York medical marijuana company Etain expanding into California
- The Cannifornian: Lawmakers ditch plans to cut marijuana taxes in California after lagging first-quarter revenue
- High Times News: Proposal in North Carolina Could Relax Marijuana Possession Laws
- High Times News: Ann Arbor, Home of Annual Hash Bash, to Open More City Dispensaries
- Emerald Report: Reminder: You can’t bring cannabis to BottleRock
- Marijuana Business Daily: Pennsylvania medical marijuana dispensaries join up for chronic pain study
- Merry Jane: Heady Entertainment: “Solo,” “Buckaroo Banzai,” and the One True Galactic Overlord — George Clinton!
- The Cannifornian: San Rafael expands marijuana business license program to include distribution
- Merry Jane: Legal Weed Sales in New York State Could Exceed $3 Billion Annually
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #35: The Town With a Cannabis Flag