WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, April 9, 2018 @ 9:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Synthetic Pot Laced With Rat Poison Possibly Linked to 94 Cases of ‘Life-Threatening’ Bleeding, CDC Says
Nearly 100 people around the Midwest have been treated for “serious unexplained bleeding” in the last month. Doctors say many of those cases may be linked to synthetic marijuana laced with rat poison brodifacoum.
A warning issued by the Center for Disease Control last week stated that 63 of the patients interviewed in Illinois — where an overwhelming majority of the cases have been reported — said they smoked synthetic weed.
“Laboratory investigation confirms brodifacoum exposure in at least 18 patients,” the CDC reports says. “There are two fatalities — both in Illinois. Illinois public health epidemiologists interviewed 63 patients, and they all reported synthetic cannabinoids use. At least three synthetic cannabinoid product samples related to this outbreak have tested positive for brodifacoum. A working hypothesis is the synthetic cannabinoids were contaminated with brodifacoum.”
The Illinois Department of Public Health reports that synthetic cannabinoids are “human-made, mind-altering chemicals that are either sprayed on dried, shredded plant material so they can be smoked or sold as liquids to be vaporized and inhaled in e-cigarettes.”
“These chemicals are called cannabinoids because they are similar to chemicals found in the marijuana plant,” the IDPH said in a statement last week. “Because of this similarity, synthetic cannabinoids are sometimes misleadingly called “synthetic marijuana” (or “fake weed”), and they are often marketed as safe, legal alternatives to that drug. In fact, they are not safe and may affect the brain much more powerfully than marijuana; their actual effects can be unpredictable and, in some cases, more dangerous or even life-threatening.”
The CDC reports that clinical signs of being poisoned by brodifacoum include “bruising, nosebleeds, bleeding gums, bleeding disproportionate to injury, vomiting blood, coughing up blood, blood in urine or stool, excessively heavy menstrual bleeding, back or flank pain, altered mental status, feeling faint or fainting, loss of consciousness, and collapse.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
From the Outpost
- (VIDEO) Masked Humboldt Pot Growers Dish to ‘Inside Edition’ About Murder Mountain: ‘It Ain’t No Joke’
- Arcata Might Soon Have Two New Places to Buy Legal Weed, Including Pacific Paradise
- Local Cannabis Company Taking Over the Ol’ Kmart Building in Eureka
- (UPDATE) Oregon Marijuana Company Leases 16,000-Square-Foot Bien Padre Factory in Eureka
- Humboldt Man Found Pushing Dolly Full of Weed East on Wyoming Highway
- 16,000 Pounds of Marijuana Seized, Over 30 People Detained at Grow Site East of Honeydew
- Ohio Man Arrested After Deputies Discover 500+ lbs. of Weed, Rifles with High-Capacity Magazines in Weaverville Commercial Building
- CANNABIS CARES: Local Cannabis Businesses Brave Pre-Thanksgiving Rain to Serve Area Homeless
- Marijuana Business Daily: British Columbia last in per-person legal cannabis sales, with few physical stores open
- Leafly: Massachusetts Sees $24M in Legal Cannabis Sales in First 2 months
- High Times News: Woman Arrested For Allegedly Feeding Dog Meth, Weed-Laced Milkshake
- High Times News: Study Shows More People Using Medical Marijuana in Place of Pharmaceuticals
- Leafly: Bloomberg Calls Legalization ‘Stupidest Thing Ever Done’
- Marijuana Business Daily: Law firm analysis: 79% of MA marijuana business contracts with municipalities illegal
- Leafly: New Study on Cannabis and Autism Supports Parents’ Longtime Claims
- Leafly: Did Doug Ford’s Daughter Break The Law by Promoting Illicit CBD Oil?
- Cannabis Law Report: Acreage Fail To Join The Ad Party Of The Year
- Marijuana Business Daily: Behind the Cover: Photos from Marijuana Business Magazine’s January Issue