WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, April 9 @ 9:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Synthetic Pot Laced With Rat Poison Possibly Linked to 94 Cases of ‘Life-Threatening’ Bleeding, CDC Says
Nearly 100 people around the Midwest have been treated for “serious unexplained bleeding” in the last month. Doctors say many of those cases may be linked to synthetic marijuana laced with rat poison brodifacoum.
A warning issued by the Center for Disease Control last week stated that 63 of the patients interviewed in Illinois — where an overwhelming majority of the cases have been reported — said they smoked synthetic weed.
“Laboratory investigation confirms brodifacoum exposure in at least 18 patients,” the CDC reports says. “There are two fatalities — both in Illinois. Illinois public health epidemiologists interviewed 63 patients, and they all reported synthetic cannabinoids use. At least three synthetic cannabinoid product samples related to this outbreak have tested positive for brodifacoum. A working hypothesis is the synthetic cannabinoids were contaminated with brodifacoum.”
The Illinois Department of Public Health reports that synthetic cannabinoids are “human-made, mind-altering chemicals that are either sprayed on dried, shredded plant material so they can be smoked or sold as liquids to be vaporized and inhaled in e-cigarettes.”
“These chemicals are called cannabinoids because they are similar to chemicals found in the marijuana plant,” the IDPH said in a statement last week. “Because of this similarity, synthetic cannabinoids are sometimes misleadingly called “synthetic marijuana” (or “fake weed”), and they are often marketed as safe, legal alternatives to that drug. In fact, they are not safe and may affect the brain much more powerfully than marijuana; their actual effects can be unpredictable and, in some cases, more dangerous or even life-threatening.”
The CDC reports that clinical signs of being poisoned by brodifacoum include “bruising, nosebleeds, bleeding gums, bleeding disproportionate to injury, vomiting blood, coughing up blood, blood in urine or stool, excessively heavy menstrual bleeding, back or flank pain, altered mental status, feeling faint or fainting, loss of consciousness, and collapse.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
From the Outpost
- Sheriff’s Office Seizes $36k During Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid; 854 Plants Eradicated
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raided Near Blake Mountain; Cultivation Evidence Found on Adjacent Forest Service Land
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid in Rancho Sequoia; 1,336 Plants Eradicated
- 8,855 Marijuana Plants Eradicated at Unpermitted Grow Near Humboldt County Line
- Rio Dell Police Raid Unpermitted Marijuana Grow, Eradicate Hundreds of Marijuana Plants
- Two Unpermitted Marijuana Grows Raided in SoHum; 6,697 Plants Eradicated
- Drug Enforcement: One Week, 12 Search Warrants, Almost 50k Marijuana Plants Destroyed
- Your Daily Unpermitted Humboldt Marijuana Grow Raid Update: Four SoHum Parcels Searched; 22,427 Plants Eradicated
- Cannabis Law Report: Oregon Merged OHA & OLCC Rules Means New Labeling & Packaging Regulations For the State
- Cannabis Culture: Online Sale of Pot After Legalization Raises Privacy Concerns, Experts Say
- Cannabis Culture: Harsh Pot Rules Spark Need for Underground Parties
- The Cannifornian: Fake ‘marijuana’ causes rash of overdoses in New England
- Cannabis Culture: Countdown to Cannabis: The Case for Amnesty
- Cannabis Culture: Talking About Cannabis
- Leafly: Calaveras Cannabis Farmers File Class Action Lawsuit Over Cultivation Ban
- Marijuana Business Daily: California decides against state-chartered banks to help marijuana industry
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #47: Big Beer Joins the Cannabis Industry
- High Times News: Canadian Legal Expert Calls Cannabis Breathalyzers “Flawed Approach” to Legalization