WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 6, 2018 @ 9 a.m.
Weed Feed: Coors’ Parent Company Announces Plan to Develop Non-Alcoholic, Cannabis-Infused Drinks for Canada
“While we remain a beer business at our core, we are excited to create a separate new venture with a trusted partner that will be a market leader in offering Canadian consumers new experiences with quality, reliable and consistent non-alcoholic, cannabis-infused beverages,” Frederic Landtmeters, President and CEO of Molson Coors Canada is quoted as saying in a press release.
Molson Coors became Coors Brewing Company’s parent company after the Colorado-based brewer merged with the Canadian brewer Molson in 2005.
The company’s decision comes after Canada legalized the drug nationwide in June.
This is the latest case of big business investing in the marijuana market, and offers a glimpse into what paths American businesses might take if the U.S. were to legalize marijuana at the federal level.
Read more in the Moslon Coors Canada press release below:
Toronto – August 1, 2018 - Molson Coors Canada, the Canadian business unit of Molson Coors Brewing Company (NYSE: TAP; TSX: TPX), and leading Canadian cannabis producer, The Hydropothecary Corporation (“HEXO”) (TSX: HEXO), are pleased to announce that they have entered into a definitive agreement to form a joint venture to pursue opportunities to develop non-alcoholic, cannabis-infused beverages for the Canadian market following legalization.
The joint venture will be structured as a standalone start-up company with its own board of directors and an independent management team. Molson Coors Canada will have a 57.5% controlling interest in the JV, with HEXO having the remaining ownership interest. The new company will combine the proven beverage experience of Canada’s leading brewer with a recognized innovator in the fast-growing cannabis sector to explore the highly anticipated consumable cannabis market, which is expected to be legally permissible in Canada in 2019.
“Canada is breaking new ground in the cannabis sector and, as one of the country’s leading beverage companies, Molson Coors Canada has a unique opportunity to participate in this exciting and rapidly expanding consumer segment. This new venture is consistent with our growth strategy and our commitment to being First Choice for Consumers and Customers by ensuring that Canadians have access to high-quality products that meet their evolving drinking preferences,” said Frederic Landtmeters, President and CEO of Molson Coors Canada. “While we remain a beer business at our core, we are excited to create a separate new venture with a trusted partner that will be a market leader in offering Canadian consumers new experiences with quality, reliable and consistent non-alcoholic, cannabis-infused beverages. We look forward to partnering with HEXO, a recognized leader in the medical cannabis space in Canada that will bring robust production capacity, a track record of innovation, and, most importantly, shared values when it comes to doing business the right way and earning the trust of consumers.”
“HEXO continues to lead the way for smoke-free cannabis innovation in Canada. We are excited about this partnership with Molson Coors Canada, an iconic leader in adult beverages, as we embark on the journey of building a brand new market. With this new company, we are bringing together Quebec’s oldest, most established company with one of its newest success stories in a truly innovative partnership,” said HEXO’s CEO and co-founder Sebastien St-Louis. “As two leading companies who share a track record of excellent practices, as well as respect for law and regulations, HEXO and Molson Coors Canada have established a relationship built on trust, and together we will develop responsible, high-quality cannabis-infused beverages for the consumable cannabis market in Canada.”
Closing of the transaction, which is targeted to occur before September 30, 2018, is subject to the satisfaction of certain conditions, including execution and delivery of various transaction agreements, including governance documents and R&D and supply agreements. In connection with the closing of the transaction, subject to the final approval of the Toronto Stock Exchange, HEXO will issue to Molson Coors Canada warrants to purchase shares of HEXO.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
From the Outpost
- Governor Newsom Says He Will Pull National Guard Troops From Mexican Border and Redeploy Some ‘North to Go After Illegal Cannabis Farms’
- County Planning Commission Denies Permit for Cannabis Grow on Private Land Within Yurok Ceremonial District
- (VIDEO) Masked Humboldt Pot Growers Dish to ‘Inside Edition’ About Murder Mountain: ‘It Ain’t No Joke’
- Arcata Might Soon Have Two New Places to Buy Legal Weed, Including Pacific Paradise
- Local Cannabis Company Taking Over the Ol’ Kmart Building in Eureka
- (UPDATE) Oregon Marijuana Company Leases 16,000-Square-Foot Bien Padre Factory in Eureka
- Humboldt Man Found Pushing Dolly Full of Weed East on Wyoming Highway
- 16,000 Pounds of Marijuana Seized, Over 30 People Detained at Grow Site East of Honeydew
- Cannabis Law Report: New York City Department of Health To Prosecute F&B Establishments Selling CBD In Food & Drink
- Cannabis Law Report: Challenges and Solutions: Access to Banking Services for Cannabis-Related Businesses
- Cannabis Law Report: Saturday 16 February – State By State Digest: General, Alaska, Nevada, New Mexico
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #73: Stoner Saves a Tiger
- High Times News: Utah’s Largest Healthcare Provider Authorizes Medical Marijuana Recommendations
- Marijuana Business Daily: Canadian marijuana grower Village Farms approved for Nasdaq listing
- Leafly: YouTube’s ‘Pot Scientist’ Fired for Answering Burning Questions
- High Times News: Man Arrested After Offering Weed Wax in Exchange for Fast Food Delivery on Facebook
- Marijuana Business Daily: Missouri gets 400-plus applications for medical cannabis business permits
- Marijuana Business Daily: UK receives initial ‘bulk’ shipment of medical cannabis