WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Sunday, Feb. 11 @ 12:31 p.m.
Weed Feed: California Girl Scout Stirs Controversy By Selling 312 Boxes of Cookies In Front of San Diego Pot Shop; In Humboldt It's No Big Deal
The anonymous scout poses in front of the pot shop where she sold more than 300 boxes of cookies.
Girls Scout cookies (GSC) are more than just a strain of weed at some pot shops.
An ambitious Girl Scout sold 312 boxes outside her local weed dispensary in San Diego in six hours earlier this month.
The location raised concerns within the scouts organization, but KGTV in San Diego reports that no rules were broken in the process.
Girl Scouts San Diego spokesperson Alison Bushan told KGTV that her local council consulted the cookie sales rule book, and found that booth sales are allowed in front of almost any business, including weed dispensaries. And while booth sales had not yet begun during the scouts big haul, the anonymous scout and her father were reportedly still within the rules because they were them selling at a distance from their cookie cart.
“If that’s what they were doing and they had their cart, they were walking around their community, then that is right and well within the rules,” Bushan told KGTV.
Rules for Girls Scout cookie sales differ from region to region. For example, in 2014 the Girl Scouts of Colorado banned selling cookies in front of marijuana dispensaries or liquor stores, the New York Times reports.
Meanwhile, the Girls Scouts of Northern California have no issue with scouts selling in front of pot shops, as long as they are with a guardian in a safe location and are following the rules. In fact, local Girl Scout volunteer Cheryl Kingham told the Outpost that scouts sold cookies in front of Arcata’s Heart Humboldt marijuana dispensary last year.
“We dealt with this issue three years ago on our counsci,” Kingham said. “We do not have any prohibition against girl scouts selling in front of any marijuana dispensaries. If a parent is with their child and deems their location safe, then the council is okay with that.”
Booth location rules for the Girl Scouts of Northern California are as follows:
During product sales activities, our primary concern is always the safety and well-being of the girls we serve.
GSNorCal does not dictate “permitted” or “prohibited locations” for booth locations. We rely on parents and volunteers to make wise decisions for their girls. Both Girl Scouts of Northern California and Girl Scouts of the USA offer booth safety guidelines, and we rely on troop leaders and parents to make decisions about the right place for their girls to set up product sales booths based on the varied and diverse communities they live in.
For GSNorCal, this covers urban, suburban and rural locations across 19 counties from Gilroy to the Oregon border. We respect that individual sales and booth decisions will vary for different families and within the context of their communities. We encourage troops to observe our safety guidelines during the cookie sale.
Girl Scout cookies are currently being sold around the county. To find the closest booth near you, visit the organization’s website or download the “Girl Scout Cookie Finder” application on your smart phone.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
From the Outpost
- 3,075 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized, Various Violations Observed, One Arrested During Raid Near Dinsmore
- Multi-Agency Trinity County Marijuana Grow Site Clean Up; Helicopter Used to Remove 31 Miles of Irrigation Hose, 21,000+ lbs. of Equipment
- Proposed Arcata Cannabis Ordinance Would Limit Permits to 15 Businesses, Restrict Sales in Plaza Shops
- Three Arrested, Thousands of Marijuana Plants Destroyed, $3 Million Cash Seized During Last Week’s Raids on Unregulated Grow Sites
- Supervisors Pass County Weed Ordinance Version 2.0
- People on the Street: Is 420 Still a Thing?
- Happy 4/20! Supervisor Estelle Fennell Elected President of Multi-County California Cannabis Authority
- (UPDATE: NOT YET) Busting Pot Farms From Space: Supervisors (MAY) Approve Contract With Company Offering High-Res Satellite Imagery to Assist With Code Enforcement
- Cannabis Law Report: Marijuana Policy Project Does The Hard Yards But Industry Businesses Who Reap The Rewards Not Providing The Financial Support
- The Cannifornian: Canadian senate passes marijuana bill, but legalization is delayed
- The Cannifornian: Backers of the Chalice festival sue California cannabis chief, Victorville over event permit
- Marijuana Business Daily: Canada ends cannabis prohibition in ‘historic’ vote to legalize recreational use
- Leafly: The Canadian Senate Passes the Cannabis Act!
- Leafly: Autism and Cannabis: Here’s What the Science Says
- The Cannifornian: You can now find marijuana laws for every California city using your Amazon Alexa
- Leafly: Is This the UK’s ‘Charlotte’s Web’ Moment?
- The Cannifornian: Commercial cannabis in Oroville on council agenda today
- Leafly: The Good Doctor