WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, June 4, 2018 @ 9:35 a.m.
Weed Feed: Georgia Parents Lose Custody of Son for Using Marijuana as Seizure Remedy
The Brills interviewed by CBS This Morning.
A Georgia couple has lost custody of their teenage son after they say they gave him marijuana to treat his recurring seizures.
David Brill’s parents told CBS News that he had been seizure-free for 71 days since he began smoking marijuana, the longest he’d ever gone without an episode.
But David Brill was taken from his family by state officials on April 20, and placed in a group foster home after someone tipped the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services off to the teenager’s pot use. He reportedly began having seizures again that same day.
His parents, meanwhile, were charged with reckless conduct and spent six days in jail.
WMAZ in Georgia, who first broke the story, reported last week that the Brills have since started a GoFundMe to cover their lawyer expenses and to fund the costs of moving to a new state with more lax marijuana laws. The page has since raised more than $39,000.
CBS News reports that Georgia has some of the strictest marijuana laws in the country. In Georgia, doctors are not allowed to prescribe medical marijuana and it is illegal to possess the drug. State law does allow some patients to use low-THC CBD oil. However, Brills parents say their son would have to be put on a six year waiting list to receive the state-issued medical card needed to receive the drug.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- August 21 Show
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
From the Outpost
- Did You Mean to Get Your Cannabis Cultivation Permit But Just, Like, SPACED IT? You Have Three Months to Un-Space Yourself
- OPERATION ‘WILD FISHER’: Weeklong Trespass Grow Cleanup Operation Hauls Tons of Trash, Miles of Water Lines Out of the Trinity Alps Wilderness
- WEED IS BACK! Humboldt County Growers Say They’re Having Their Best Season in Years
- 1,888 Marijuana Plants Seized, Two Arrested During Grow-Op Raid On Public Lands Near Trinity Alps
- 60,000+ Marijuana Plants, 3,500+ Pounds of Processed Bud Seized During Sizable Law Enforcement Operation in Trinity County
- (UPDATE) Marijuana Grow Neighboring Arcata’s Jacoby Creek Community Forest Causes Logistical Nightmare for Government Agencies; City Expresses Concerns About Owner’s Sketchy History
- (VIDEO) PBS NewsHour Looks at Craft Cannabis in the Emerald Triangle
- ‘OPERATION CLEAN SWEEP’: National Guard Will Also Assist in This Week’s Raids on Illegal Mendocino Marijuana Grow Sites
- Marijuana Business Daily: Chart: Maryland’s 2019 medical cannabis sales on pace to double 2018 sales
- Cannabis Law Report: Battle of the Weedwork Stars, Episode 2
- Wikileaf: Can You Put Weed In A Vape?
- Marijuana Business Daily: CA governor issues executive order on vaping, saying it’s an e-cigarette and marijuana problem
- High Times News: Testing Lab In Oregon Offering To Evaluate Vaping Products For Public Consumers
- Wikileaf: Breaking News – Some Federal Lawmakers Want to Ban THC Vapes
- High Times News: Synthetic Marijuana Found In CBD Products Across Multiple States
- Leafly: Arizona Backers Revise Legalization Measure After Legal Review
- The Emerald Magazine : That’s a (Blunt) Wrap! Our Fav NYFW Looks
- High Times News: Utah Legislators Plan Vote on Changes to Medical Marijuana Law