WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, June 4, 2018 @ 9:35 a.m.
Weed Feed: Georgia Parents Lose Custody of Son for Using Marijuana as Seizure Remedy
The Brills interviewed by CBS This Morning.
A Georgia couple has lost custody of their teenage son after they say they gave him marijuana to treat his recurring seizures.
David Brill’s parents told CBS News that he had been seizure-free for 71 days since he began smoking marijuana, the longest he’d ever gone without an episode.
But David Brill was taken from his family by state officials on April 20, and placed in a group foster home after someone tipped the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services off to the teenager’s pot use. He reportedly began having seizures again that same day.
His parents, meanwhile, were charged with reckless conduct and spent six days in jail.
WMAZ in Georgia, who first broke the story, reported last week that the Brills have since started a GoFundMe to cover their lawyer expenses and to fund the costs of moving to a new state with more lax marijuana laws. The page has since raised more than $39,000.
CBS News reports that Georgia has some of the strictest marijuana laws in the country. In Georgia, doctors are not allowed to prescribe medical marijuana and it is illegal to possess the drug. State law does allow some patients to use low-THC CBD oil. However, Brills parents say their son would have to be put on a six year waiting list to receive the state-issued medical card needed to receive the drug.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
From the Outpost
- ‘OPERATION CLEAN SWEEP’: National Guard Will Also Assist in This Week’s Raids on Illegal Mendocino Marijuana Grow Sites
- (VIDEO) Sheriff Honsal to Unpermitted Marijuana Growers: ‘We are Coming’
- BECAUSE WEED? Old Town’s ‘Because Coffee’ Closing This Weekend, Will Likely Be Replaced by Cannabis Smoking Lounge
- Rio Dell’s Downtown May Soon Have Three Weed Stores
- Humboldt County Growers, Manufacturers Show Out Strong at the 2019 NorCal Cannabis Cup
- (UPDATE: Letter Approved) Supes May Ask State Officials to Close ‘Loophole’ Allowing High-CBD Cannabis to be Grown as Hemp
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Marijuana Business Daily: New Hampshire governor rejects medical cannabis expansion bill
- High Times News: Someone Planted 34 Cannabis Plants in the Vermont Statehouse Flower Beds
- Wikileaf: CBD Water Is Legit
- Marijuana Business Daily: Utah delays awarding medicinal marijuana cultivation licenses
- High Times News: New Bill Ensures Some Retroactive Drug War Justice for New Hampshire
- Leafly: Beer Brewers on New Cannabis Beers: ‘They Should Just Stop’
- Leafly: Competition to Grow Medical Cannabis in Utah Heats Up
- Leafly: Kamala Harris Evolved Slowly on Legalization, but She’s All About It Now
- Cannabis Law Report: Hoban Law Launch Cannabis Compliance and Regulation courses on Green Flower Media Platform
- Marijuana Business Daily: Marijuana Business This Week: Utah selects growers, CBD comment period ends, NJ to post MMJ apps & more