WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, March 12 @ 9:05 a.m.
Weed Feed: California Bureau of Cannabis Control Sends Cease-and-Desist Letter to Weedmaps for Advertising Unlicensed Marijuana Companies
Weedmaps, the popular marijuana review website, is facing a government crackdown after the California Bureau of Cannabis Control sent the company a cease-and-desist letter last month.
Marijuana Business Daily reports that Weedmaps’ parent company, Ghost Management Group, has been ordered to immediately stop advertising unlicensed cannabis companies on its website or face “criminal and administrative penalties.”
“The Bureau of Cannabis Control has determined that weedmaps.com is engaging in activity that violates state cannabis laws,” the letter reads.
The Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act restricts technology platforms or outdoor advertising companies from publishing advertisements for unlicensed weed companies, and requires the marijuana company’s license number to be displayed in the ads.
“Pursuant to the provisions of the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act, a valid state license from a state licensing authority is required to legally operate a commercial cannabis business within the State of California,” the letter continues. “This includes the retail sale and delivery of cannabis and cannabis products for sale that are not licensed to conduct commercial cannabis activity; therefore, you are aiding and abetting in violations of state cannabis laws.”
The Sacrament Business Journal also reports that the City of Sacramento’s Office of Cannabis Policy and Enforcement reportedly sent cease-and-desist letters to Weedmaps and a print news publication for advertising non-permitted weed companies last month.
This is the State’s latest efforts to bring its long-standing illegal marijuana industry into compliance.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
From the Outpost
- 3,075 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized, Various Violations Observed, One Arrested During Raid Near Dinsmore
- Multi-Agency Trinity County Marijuana Grow Site Clean Up; Helicopter Used to Remove 31 Miles of Irrigation Hose, 21,000+ lbs. of Equipment
- Proposed Arcata Cannabis Ordinance Would Limit Permits to 15 Businesses, Restrict Sales in Plaza Shops
- Three Arrested, Thousands of Marijuana Plants Destroyed, $3 Million Cash Seized During Last Week’s Raids on Unregulated Grow Sites
- Supervisors Pass County Weed Ordinance Version 2.0
- People on the Street: Is 420 Still a Thing?
- Happy 4/20! Supervisor Estelle Fennell Elected President of Multi-County California Cannabis Authority
- (UPDATE: NOT YET) Busting Pot Farms From Space: Supervisors (MAY) Approve Contract With Company Offering High-Res Satellite Imagery to Assist With Code Enforcement
- Cannabis Law Report: Marijuana Policy Project Does The Hard Yards But Industry Businesses Who Reap The Rewards Not Providing The Financial Support
- The Cannifornian: Canadian senate passes marijuana bill, but legalization is delayed
- The Cannifornian: Backers of the Chalice festival sue California cannabis chief, Victorville over event permit
- Marijuana Business Daily: Canada ends cannabis prohibition in ‘historic’ vote to legalize recreational use
- Leafly: The Canadian Senate Passes the Cannabis Act!
- Leafly: Autism and Cannabis: Here’s What the Science Says
- The Cannifornian: You can now find marijuana laws for every California city using your Amazon Alexa
- Leafly: Is This the UK’s ‘Charlotte’s Web’ Moment?
- The Cannifornian: Commercial cannabis in Oroville on council agenda today
- Leafly: The Good Doctor