WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, March 12 @ 9:05 a.m.
Weed Feed: California Bureau of Cannabis Control Sends Cease-and-Desist Letter to Weedmaps for Advertising Unlicensed Marijuana Companies
Weedmaps, the popular marijuana review website, is facing a government crackdown after the California Bureau of Cannabis Control sent the company a cease-and-desist letter last month.
Marijuana Business Daily reports that Weedmaps’ parent company, Ghost Management Group, has been ordered to immediately stop advertising unlicensed cannabis companies on its website or face “criminal and administrative penalties.”
“The Bureau of Cannabis Control has determined that weedmaps.com is engaging in activity that violates state cannabis laws,” the letter reads.
The Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act restricts technology platforms or outdoor advertising companies from publishing advertisements for unlicensed weed companies, and requires the marijuana company’s license number to be displayed in the ads.
“Pursuant to the provisions of the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act, a valid state license from a state licensing authority is required to legally operate a commercial cannabis business within the State of California,” the letter continues. “This includes the retail sale and delivery of cannabis and cannabis products for sale that are not licensed to conduct commercial cannabis activity; therefore, you are aiding and abetting in violations of state cannabis laws.”
The Sacrament Business Journal also reports that the City of Sacramento’s Office of Cannabis Policy and Enforcement reportedly sent cease-and-desist letters to Weedmaps and a print news publication for advertising non-permitted weed companies last month.
This is the State’s latest efforts to bring its long-standing illegal marijuana industry into compliance.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Unpermitted SoHum Marijuana Grow Raided; 4,988 Plants Eradicated
- THE HOBELMANN REPORT: Cannabis Commerce Descends On Fortuna at HCGA’s ‘Meet the Buyers’ Event
- One Arrested, 10,211 Plants Eradicated During Marijuana Grow Raid Near Dinsmore
- Big SoHum Marijuana Grow Raid; 21,053 Plants Eradicated; Over 3,400 Pounds Destroyed
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid on Berry Summit; 4,834 Plants Eradicated
- Sheriff’s Office Seizes $36k During Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid; 854 Plants Eradicated
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raided Near Blake Mountain; Cultivation Evidence Found on Adjacent Forest Service Land
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid in Rancho Sequoia; 1,336 Plants Eradicated
- Marijuana Business Daily: Weekly Deal Watch: Cannabis real estate a hot target for investment
- High Times News: Gov. Cuomo Passes Law in NY to Allow Medical Cannabis as Opioid Alternative
- Cannabis Law Report: There’s Still Pushback In The NJ Legislature Over Cannabis Regulation
- Cannabis Law Report: California Administrative Court Rules That 5 Yr Old Can Take Medicinal Cannabis To School
- High Times News: FBI Data Shows Cannabis Arrests are on the Rise for Second Year in a Row
- High Times News: Activists in Oregon Fight for the Public Consumption of Cannabis
- Leafly: Oregon Craft Cannabis Strains, by the Terpene
- High Times News: Thai Police Give Researchers 220 Pounds Of Seized Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: Marijuana retailer Green Growth Brands upsized CA$85 million raise
- Leafly: Missouri Has Three Legalization Measures. Two Are Very Odd