WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, March 12 @ 9:05 a.m.
Weed Feed: California Bureau of Cannabis Control Sends Cease-and-Desist Letter to Weedmaps for Advertising Unlicensed Marijuana Companies
Weedmaps, the popular marijuana review website, is facing a government crackdown after the California Bureau of Cannabis Control sent the company a cease-and-desist letter last month.
Marijuana Business Daily reports that Weedmaps’ parent company, Ghost Management Group, has been ordered to immediately stop advertising unlicensed cannabis companies on its website or face “criminal and administrative penalties.”
“The Bureau of Cannabis Control has determined that weedmaps.com is engaging in activity that violates state cannabis laws,” the letter reads.
The Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act restricts technology platforms or outdoor advertising companies from publishing advertisements for unlicensed weed companies, and requires the marijuana company’s license number to be displayed in the ads.
“Pursuant to the provisions of the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act, a valid state license from a state licensing authority is required to legally operate a commercial cannabis business within the State of California,” the letter continues. “This includes the retail sale and delivery of cannabis and cannabis products for sale that are not licensed to conduct commercial cannabis activity; therefore, you are aiding and abetting in violations of state cannabis laws.”
The Sacrament Business Journal also reports that the City of Sacramento’s Office of Cannabis Policy and Enforcement reportedly sent cease-and-desist letters to Weedmaps and a print news publication for advertising non-permitted weed companies last month.
This is the State’s latest efforts to bring its long-standing illegal marijuana industry into compliance.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
From the Outpost
- Humboldt Man Found Pushing Dolly Full of Weed East on Wyoming Highway
- 16,000 Pounds of Marijuana Seized, Over 30 People Detained at Grow Site East of Honeydew
- Ohio Man Arrested After Deputies Discover 500+ lbs. of Weed, Rifles with High-Capacity Magazines in Weaverville Commercial Building
- CANNABIS CARES: Local Cannabis Businesses Brave Pre-Thanksgiving Rain to Serve Area Homeless
- County Assesses $4.5M in Penalties for Illegal Weed Cultivation, But Don’t Expect Anyone to Pay Up
- Humboldt Woman Faces 22 Years in Prison After Being Arrested in Ohio With Hundreds of Pounds of Weed
- Godfather Director Makes SoHum Marijuana ‘Brothers’ an Offer They Can’t Refuse
- Supervisors Override Objections from Fortuna, Approve Indoor Cannabis Operation Near Rohnerville Airport
- Leafly: Medical Marijuana Patient, 78, Evicted in Freezing Cold for Taking Medicine
- Marijuana Business Daily: Maryland’s medical cannabis sales hit $96 million in first year
- Leafly: Shoppers Drug Mart Granted License to Sell Medical Cannabis Online
- High Times News: 78-Year-Old Man Evicted For Using Medical Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: Cannabis shortages plague Canadian retailers; here’s how they’re responding
- Marijuana Business Daily: Chart: Significant challenges await Iowa’s new medical cannabis program
- Cannabis Culture: Aspiring ‘Craft’ Cannabis Producers Running Into Unexpected Roadblocks
- Cannabis Culture: Shoppers Drug Mart Granted Licence to Sell Medical Marijuana Online
- Leafly: Hit This: The Leafly Weekly Agenda for Dec. 10-16
- Cannabis Law Report: The New AG, NCBA Says “Barr.. Nobody Knows”