WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, May 14 @ 7:53 a.m.
Weed Feed: California’s Marijuana Tax Collections Not Meeting First-Year Projections
California’s marijuana industry has missed the mark projected by financial analysts for the first quarter, according to a cannabis tax revenue update released by the state’s Legislative Analyst’s Office last week.
“In its January budget proposal, the administration estimated that 2017-18 cannabis excise tax revenue would total $175 million,” the tax update reads. “The state collected $34 million in cannabis excise tax revenue in the first quarter of 2018. Based on this quarterly tally, we think that 2017-18 revenue likely will be somewhat lower than the administration’s January estimate.”
According to current trends, California’s marijuana industry is set to bring in $136 million in additional tax revenue this year — $39 million less than previously projected.
Despite the marijuana market’s shortfall, the Sacramento Bee reports that California’s total tax revenue is currently $3.6 billion ahead of Governor Jerry Brown’s estimations.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
- October 18 Episode
From the Outpost
- Multi-Agency Trinity County Marijuana Grow Site Clean Up; Helicopter Used to Remove 31 Miles of Irrigation Hose, 21,000+ lbs. of Equipment
- Proposed Arcata Cannabis Ordinance Would Limit Permits to 15 Businesses, Restrict Sales in Plaza Shops
- Three Arrested, Thousands of Marijuana Plants Destroyed, $3 Million Cash Seized During Last Week’s Raids on Unregulated Grow Sites
- Supervisors Pass County Weed Ordinance Version 2.0
- People on the Street: Is 420 Still a Thing?
- Happy 4/20! Supervisor Estelle Fennell Elected President of Multi-County California Cannabis Authority
- (UPDATE: NOT YET) Busting Pot Farms From Space: Supervisors (MAY) Approve Contract With Company Offering High-Res Satellite Imagery to Assist With Code Enforcement
- County Supervisors Ease Tax Burden on Weed Growers, Hire Attorneys to Sue Big Pharma’s Opioid Manufacturers
- Marijuana Business Daily: New York medical marijuana company Etain expanding into California
- The Cannifornian: Lawmakers ditch plans to cut marijuana taxes in California after lagging first-quarter revenue
- High Times News: Proposal in North Carolina Could Relax Marijuana Possession Laws
- High Times News: Ann Arbor, Home of Annual Hash Bash, to Open More City Dispensaries
- Emerald Report: Reminder: You can’t bring cannabis to BottleRock
- Marijuana Business Daily: Pennsylvania medical marijuana dispensaries join up for chronic pain study
- Merry Jane: Heady Entertainment: “Solo,” “Buckaroo Banzai,” and the One True Galactic Overlord — George Clinton!
- The Cannifornian: San Rafael expands marijuana business license program to include distribution
- Merry Jane: Legal Weed Sales in New York State Could Exceed $3 Billion Annually
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #35: The Town With a Cannabis Flag