WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, May 14 @ 7:53 a.m.
Weed Feed: California’s Marijuana Tax Collections Not Meeting First-Year Projections
California’s marijuana industry has missed the mark projected by financial analysts for the first quarter, according to a cannabis tax revenue update released by the state’s Legislative Analyst’s Office last week.
“In its January budget proposal, the administration estimated that 2017-18 cannabis excise tax revenue would total $175 million,” the tax update reads. “The state collected $34 million in cannabis excise tax revenue in the first quarter of 2018. Based on this quarterly tally, we think that 2017-18 revenue likely will be somewhat lower than the administration’s January estimate.”
According to current trends, California’s marijuana industry is set to bring in $136 million in additional tax revenue this year — $39 million less than previously projected.
Despite the marijuana market’s shortfall, the Sacramento Bee reports that California’s total tax revenue is currently $3.6 billion ahead of Governor Jerry Brown’s estimations.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Humboldt Sheriff’s Office Releases 2018 Weed Raid Stats: 65 Operations, 198,692 Plants Eradicated, $3M Seized
- 2,139 Marijuana Plants Eradicated at Unpermitted Grow in SoHum
- 4,671 Marijuana Plants Eradicated at Unpermitted Grow Ops in SoHum
- Unpermitted SoHum Marijuana Grow Raided; 4,988 Plants Eradicated
- THE HOBELMANN REPORT: Cannabis Commerce Descends On Fortuna at HCGA’s ‘Meet the Buyers’ Event
- One Arrested, 10,211 Plants Eradicated During Marijuana Grow Raid Near Dinsmore
- Big SoHum Marijuana Grow Raid; 21,053 Plants Eradicated; Over 3,400 Pounds Destroyed
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid on Berry Summit; 4,834 Plants Eradicated
- Cannabis Law Report: MJ Biz Report That Washington Reverses Position On Edible Candies
- Cannabis Culture: Campers Will Be Able to Smoke Cannabis at Campsites in Canada’s National Parks
- Cannabis Culture: Weed is Legal in Canada Starting This Week
- High Times News: Dispensaries in British Columbia Told to Shut Down Before Legalization
- High Times News: Canadian Schools Struggling With Cannabis Education Ahead of Legalization
- The Cannifornian: Marijuana is emerging among California’s vineyards, offering promise and concern
- Leafly: Legal Cannabis in Northwest Territories: What You Should Know
- The Cannifornian: After 5 code officers lawyer up, city probes whether top officials protected cannabis businesses
- Leafly: Recreational Cannabis Stores in Northwest Territories
- The Cannifornian: North Coast cannabis marketplace sees surge among health and wellness users