WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, May 7 @ 10 a.m.
Weed Feed: Medical Cannabis Laws Connected to 'Significant' Reduction in Prescription Opioid Use, New Study Finds
Patients are less likely to use prescription opioids in states with medical marijuana laws, a new study finds.
According to a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association last month, Medicare Part D prescriptions for all opioids decreased by about 1.8 million daily doses per year in states with in-home medical cannabis cultivation laws, and by 3.7 million daily doses per year in states with cannabis dispensaries.
“Medical cannabis laws are associated with significant reductions in opioid prescribing,” the study concluded. “This finding was particularly strong in states that permit dispensaries, and for reductions in hydrocodone and morphine prescriptions.”
The study comes as America finds itself in the midst of what many are calling an “opioid crisis.”
CNN reports that 115 American die of opioid overdoses every day, and that 2.5 million Americans are addicted to the drug. Opioid-related deaths have reportedly increased by 15.6 percent from 2014 to 2015, and by almost 320 percent between 2000 and 2015.
Trump discuses America’s “opioid crisis” in August of last year.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
From the Outpost
- Sheriff’s Office Seizes $36k During Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid; 854 Plants Eradicated
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raided Near Blake Mountain; Cultivation Evidence Found on Adjacent Forest Service Land
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid in Rancho Sequoia; 1,336 Plants Eradicated
- 8,855 Marijuana Plants Eradicated at Unpermitted Grow Near Humboldt County Line
- Rio Dell Police Raid Unpermitted Marijuana Grow, Eradicate Hundreds of Marijuana Plants
- Two Unpermitted Marijuana Grows Raided in SoHum; 6,697 Plants Eradicated
- Drug Enforcement: One Week, 12 Search Warrants, Almost 50k Marijuana Plants Destroyed
- Your Daily Unpermitted Humboldt Marijuana Grow Raid Update: Four SoHum Parcels Searched; 22,427 Plants Eradicated
- Cannabis Law Report: Oregon Merged OHA & OLCC Rules Means New Labeling & Packaging Regulations For the State
- Cannabis Culture: Online Sale of Pot After Legalization Raises Privacy Concerns, Experts Say
- Cannabis Culture: Harsh Pot Rules Spark Need for Underground Parties
- The Cannifornian: Fake ‘marijuana’ causes rash of overdoses in New England
- Cannabis Culture: Countdown to Cannabis: The Case for Amnesty
- Cannabis Culture: Talking About Cannabis
- Leafly: Calaveras Cannabis Farmers File Class Action Lawsuit Over Cultivation Ban
- Marijuana Business Daily: California decides against state-chartered banks to help marijuana industry
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #47: Big Beer Joins the Cannabis Industry
- High Times News: Canadian Legal Expert Calls Cannabis Breathalyzers “Flawed Approach” to Legalization