WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Nov. 12 @ 10:20 a.m.
Weed Feed: Federal Government May Allow VA Health Care Providers to Give Medical Marijuana to Veterans if Legalized, VA Secretary Says
The Department of Veterans Affairs may allow veterans to receive medical marijuana prescriptions at VA health clinics if the drug is legalized at the federal level.
VA Secretary Robert Willkie told reporters at a National Press Club forum on Friday, that he’s open to the idea.
“Marijuana is against federal law,” Willkie said. “If it changes and we find medical proof that it helps — I will look at any — of course we’d look at that. But the law is pretty clear at the federal level.”
Rumors have circulated in the past few weeks, that president Trump could make a push for legalizing marijuana at the federal level following the November elections — rumors that seem all the more likely, now that former Attorney General and avid marijuana opposer Jeff Sessions resigned last week.
The VA’s website states that its health care providers are not allowed to recommend or assist veterans with obtaining medical marijuana as long as the Food and Drug Administration classifies it as Schedule One Drug.
The FDA also seems to be lightening its stance on marijuana these days, as it approved a marijuana-based drug for the first time ever in July.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
From the Outpost
- County Assesses $4.5M in Penalties for Illegal Weed Cultivation, But Don’t Expect Anyone to Pay Up
- Humboldt Woman Faces 22 Years in Prison After Being Arrested in Ohio With Hundreds of Pounds of Weed
- Godfather Director Makes SoHum Marijuana ‘Brothers’ an Offer They Can’t Refuse
- Supervisors Override Objections from Fortuna, Approve Indoor Cannabis Operation Near Rohnerville Airport
- HARDIN: A Plant Can Break Your Heart
- HOBELMANN REPORT: Three Candidates Are Running For Three Seats on the Fortuna City Council, and None of Them Are Too Jazzed About Cannabis
- 13,084 Marijuana Plants Eradicated During Raids at Unpermitted SoHum Grows
- Endangered Frog Found, 1,518 Marijuana Plants Eradicated During Raid at Unpermitted SoHum Grow
- Cannabis Law Report: You’ve Got Until 30 November To Comment on OLCC Proposed Rules & Regs
- Cannabis Law Report: California: Lawsuit Accuses NorCal Cops of Pot-Stealing Conspiracy
- Cannabis Law Report: Reuters Report On Cannabis Companies Flouting Rules & Using Social Media To Appeal To Teens
- Cannabis Culture: Canadian Chef Has High Hopes for Cannabis-infused Fine Dining
- Cannabis Culture: Cannabis in a Can: Whitby Brewery to Infuse Pot Into Its Pints
- Cannabis Culture: Cannabis Marketing Rules Still Hazy Post-Legalization
- Cannabis Culture: How Medical Marijuana Made Me a Better Mom.
- Leafly: CBD Isolate From the Internet: Is It Worth the High?
- Leafly: Unique CBD Products for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Marijuana Business Daily: Leading US marijuana firms list shares on Canadian stock exchange