WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Nov. 19 @ 10:23 a.m.
Weed Feed: Trump Administration Sued Over Federal Law Banning Gun Dealers From Selling to Medical Marijuana Patients
A Philadelphia man has filed suit against the heads of the Justice Department, the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, in response to laws that prevent licensed dealers from selling guns to medical marijuana users.
The Washington Times reports that the man was denied the purchase of a handgun after he admitted to using marijuana in an ATF background check questionnaire.
Under federal law, firearm dealers cannot sell to anyone who unlawfully uses marijuana, as outlined by the U.S. Controlled Substances Act.
While the number of states that allow medical marijuana use has risen to 33 following the November elections, the DEA still considers marijuana a Schedule I Drug. However, rumors have been swirling among news outlets that President Trump plans to overhaul federal marijuana laws during the second half of his presidential term.
A Nevada woman also attempted to sue the government over the same issue in 2016, but her suit was struck down by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
From the Outpost
- Humboldt Man Found Pushing Dolly Full of Weed East on Wyoming Highway
- 16,000 Pounds of Marijuana Seized, Over 30 People Detained at Grow Site East of Honeydew
- Ohio Man Arrested After Deputies Discover 500+ lbs. of Weed, Rifles with High-Capacity Magazines in Weaverville Commercial Building
- CANNABIS CARES: Local Cannabis Businesses Brave Pre-Thanksgiving Rain to Serve Area Homeless
- County Assesses $4.5M in Penalties for Illegal Weed Cultivation, But Don’t Expect Anyone to Pay Up
- Humboldt Woman Faces 22 Years in Prison After Being Arrested in Ohio With Hundreds of Pounds of Weed
- Godfather Director Makes SoHum Marijuana ‘Brothers’ an Offer They Can’t Refuse
- Supervisors Override Objections from Fortuna, Approve Indoor Cannabis Operation Near Rohnerville Airport
- Leafly: Medical Marijuana Patient, 78, Evicted in Freezing Cold for Taking Medicine
- Marijuana Business Daily: Maryland’s medical cannabis sales hit $96 million in first year
- Leafly: Shoppers Drug Mart Granted License to Sell Medical Cannabis Online
- High Times News: 78-Year-Old Man Evicted For Using Medical Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: Cannabis shortages plague Canadian retailers; here’s how they’re responding
- Marijuana Business Daily: Chart: Significant challenges await Iowa’s new medical cannabis program
- Cannabis Culture: Aspiring ‘Craft’ Cannabis Producers Running Into Unexpected Roadblocks
- Cannabis Culture: Shoppers Drug Mart Granted Licence to Sell Medical Marijuana Online
- Leafly: Hit This: The Leafly Weekly Agenda for Dec. 10-16
- Cannabis Law Report: The New AG, NCBA Says “Barr.. Nobody Knows”