WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Nov. 19, 2018 @ 10:23 a.m.
Weed Feed: Trump Administration Sued Over Federal Law Banning Gun Dealers From Selling to Medical Marijuana Patients
A Philadelphia man has filed suit against the heads of the Justice Department, the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, in response to laws that prevent licensed dealers from selling guns to medical marijuana users.
The Washington Times reports that the man was denied the purchase of a handgun after he admitted to using marijuana in an ATF background check questionnaire.
Under federal law, firearm dealers cannot sell to anyone who unlawfully uses marijuana, as outlined by the U.S. Controlled Substances Act.
While the number of states that allow medical marijuana use has risen to 33 following the November elections, the DEA still considers marijuana a Schedule I Drug. However, rumors have been swirling among news outlets that President Trump plans to overhaul federal marijuana laws during the second half of his presidential term.
A Nevada woman also attempted to sue the government over the same issue in 2016, but her suit was struck down by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
From the Outpost
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Will a Lapse in the County’s Hemp Moratorium Inadvertently Open the Floodgates for Industrial Cultivation?
- County Looks to Extend Moratorium on Industrial Hemp Cultivation While Developing New Rules and Regulations
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony’s Krayzie Bone Visits Humboldt for His New Weed Brand, Looks at Pretty Ocean Views
- Hoopa Election Board Rejects Controversial Ballot Measure About Cannabis Legalization
- County Approves ‘Cannabis Village’ With Onsite Sales and Consumption for Reggae on the River
- The Hoopa Valley Tribe Can’t Decide Whether to Allow Weed Cultivation, Nor Whether They Already Answered that Question
- Cannabis Law Report: Fox Rothschild Publish PDF, ” National Survey On Marijuana Law On Regulations”
- Cannabis Law Report: Cultiva Law Looking For A Paralegal
- Cannabis Law Report: INCBA Says It Is Now Developing Student Bodies Throughout the US
- Cannabis Law Report: CO: The Department of Revenue’s Marijuana Enforcement Division is planning a work group regarding House Bill 19-1090
- Marijuana Business Daily: Hearing begins for Nevada marijuana businesses claiming state licensing bias
- High Times News: Two-Year Investigation of Illicit Weed Market Leads to Multimillion Dollar Raids
- Marijuana Business Daily: Arkansas medical cannabis dispensary sued for trademark infringement
- Leafly: Trashing Your Empty Vape Oil Cartridges? Here’s What You Can Do Instead
- High Times News: Data Finds Canadians in New Brunswick Reluctant to Buy Pot With Credit Cards
- Leafly: Some Ontario Cannabis Stores Cut Hours Amid National Supply Shortage