WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 29, 2018 @ 11:06 a.m.
Weed Feed: Canada’s Black Market Going Strong After Legalization
The New York Times reports that in Vancouver, illegal dispensaries outnumber Starbucks, and despite the Canadian government’s intentions to quell illegal pot sales, there are simply too many businesses to manage.
Canada’s current laws limit licensed dispensaries to selling smokable marijuana, seeds, plants and hash oil, while marijuana-infused foods remain on the banned list as the federal government works out the details of regulating the edibles industry.
But that reportedly isn’t stopping shops from going about their business, selling whatever banned marijuana products customers demand. Vancouver dispensary owner Don Briere told the New York Times that he even plans to add new types of banned products to his shelves, like marijuana-infused doggy treats.
“We’ll keep selling what we are selling,” Briere told the Times. “The government taking over the cannabis trade is like asking a farmer to build airplanes.”
While Canadian police raided five dispensaries in Toronto earlier this month, an overwhelming number of illegal pot shops remain open for business and British Columbia’s minister of public safety Mike Farnworth says it’s going to take a while for the government to funnel the businesses into compliance.
“It’s a very Canadian way of doing things,” Farnworth told the Times. “It won’t happen overnight.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
From the Outpost
- (VIDEO) Masked Humboldt Pot Growers Dish to ‘Inside Edition’ About Murder Mountain: ‘It Ain’t No Joke’
- Arcata Might Soon Have Two New Places to Buy Legal Weed, Including Pacific Paradise
- Local Cannabis Company Taking Over the Ol’ Kmart Building in Eureka
- (UPDATE) Oregon Marijuana Company Leases 16,000-Square-Foot Bien Padre Factory in Eureka
- Humboldt Man Found Pushing Dolly Full of Weed East on Wyoming Highway
- 16,000 Pounds of Marijuana Seized, Over 30 People Detained at Grow Site East of Honeydew
- Ohio Man Arrested After Deputies Discover 500+ lbs. of Weed, Rifles with High-Capacity Magazines in Weaverville Commercial Building
- CANNABIS CARES: Local Cannabis Businesses Brave Pre-Thanksgiving Rain to Serve Area Homeless
- Marijuana Business Daily: British Columbia last in per-person legal cannabis sales, with few physical stores open
- Leafly: Massachusetts Sees $24M in Legal Cannabis Sales in First 2 months
- High Times News: Woman Arrested For Allegedly Feeding Dog Meth, Weed-Laced Milkshake
- High Times News: Study Shows More People Using Medical Marijuana in Place of Pharmaceuticals
- Leafly: Bloomberg Calls Legalization ‘Stupidest Thing Ever Done’
- Marijuana Business Daily: Law firm analysis: 79% of MA marijuana business contracts with municipalities illegal
- Leafly: New Study on Cannabis and Autism Supports Parents’ Longtime Claims
- Leafly: Did Doug Ford’s Daughter Break The Law by Promoting Illicit CBD Oil?
- Cannabis Law Report: Acreage Fail To Join The Ad Party Of The Year
- Marijuana Business Daily: Behind the Cover: Photos from Marijuana Business Magazine’s January Issue