WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 29 @ 11:06 a.m.
Weed Feed: Canada’s Black Market Going Strong After Legalization
The New York Times reports that in Vancouver, illegal dispensaries outnumber Starbucks, and despite the Canadian government’s intentions to quell illegal pot sales, there are simply too many businesses to manage.
Canada’s current laws limit licensed dispensaries to selling smokable marijuana, seeds, plants and hash oil, while marijuana-infused foods remain on the banned list as the federal government works out the details of regulating the edibles industry.
But that reportedly isn’t stopping shops from going about their business, selling whatever banned marijuana products customers demand. Vancouver dispensary owner Don Briere told the New York Times that he even plans to add new types of banned products to his shelves, like marijuana-infused doggy treats.
“We’ll keep selling what we are selling,” Briere told the Times. “The government taking over the cannabis trade is like asking a farmer to build airplanes.”
While Canadian police raided five dispensaries in Toronto earlier this month, an overwhelming number of illegal pot shops remain open for business and British Columbia’s minister of public safety Mike Farnworth says it’s going to take a while for the government to funnel the businesses into compliance.
“It’s a very Canadian way of doing things,” Farnworth told the Times. “It won’t happen overnight.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
From the Outpost
- County Assesses $4.5M in Penalties for Illegal Weed Cultivation, But Don’t Expect Anyone to Pay Up
- Humboldt Woman Faces 22 Years in Prison After Being Arrested in Ohio With Hundreds of Pounds of Weed
- Godfather Director Makes SoHum Marijuana ‘Brothers’ an Offer They Can’t Refuse
- Supervisors Override Objections from Fortuna, Approve Indoor Cannabis Operation Near Rohnerville Airport
- HARDIN: A Plant Can Break Your Heart
- HOBELMANN REPORT: Three Candidates Are Running For Three Seats on the Fortuna City Council, and None of Them Are Too Jazzed About Cannabis
- 13,084 Marijuana Plants Eradicated During Raids at Unpermitted SoHum Grows
- Endangered Frog Found, 1,518 Marijuana Plants Eradicated During Raid at Unpermitted SoHum Grow
- Cannabis Law Report: You’ve Got Until 30 November To Comment on OLCC Proposed Rules & Regs
- Cannabis Law Report: California: Lawsuit Accuses NorCal Cops of Pot-Stealing Conspiracy
- Cannabis Law Report: Reuters Report On Cannabis Companies Flouting Rules & Using Social Media To Appeal To Teens
- Cannabis Culture: Canadian Chef Has High Hopes for Cannabis-infused Fine Dining
- Cannabis Culture: Cannabis in a Can: Whitby Brewery to Infuse Pot Into Its Pints
- Cannabis Culture: Cannabis Marketing Rules Still Hazy Post-Legalization
- Cannabis Culture: How Medical Marijuana Made Me a Better Mom.
- Leafly: CBD Isolate From the Internet: Is It Worth the High?
- Leafly: Unique CBD Products for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Marijuana Business Daily: Leading US marijuana firms list shares on Canadian stock exchange