WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 29, 2018 @ 11:06 a.m.
Weed Feed: Canada’s Black Market Going Strong After Legalization
The New York Times reports that in Vancouver, illegal dispensaries outnumber Starbucks, and despite the Canadian government’s intentions to quell illegal pot sales, there are simply too many businesses to manage.
Canada’s current laws limit licensed dispensaries to selling smokable marijuana, seeds, plants and hash oil, while marijuana-infused foods remain on the banned list as the federal government works out the details of regulating the edibles industry.
But that reportedly isn’t stopping shops from going about their business, selling whatever banned marijuana products customers demand. Vancouver dispensary owner Don Briere told the New York Times that he even plans to add new types of banned products to his shelves, like marijuana-infused doggy treats.
“We’ll keep selling what we are selling,” Briere told the Times. “The government taking over the cannabis trade is like asking a farmer to build airplanes.”
While Canadian police raided five dispensaries in Toronto earlier this month, an overwhelming number of illegal pot shops remain open for business and British Columbia’s minister of public safety Mike Farnworth says it’s going to take a while for the government to funnel the businesses into compliance.
“It’s a very Canadian way of doing things,” Farnworth told the Times. “It won’t happen overnight.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Rio Dell’s Downtown May Soon Have Three Weed Stores
- Humboldt County Growers, Manufacturers Show Out Strong at the 2019 NorCal Cannabis Cup
- (UPDATE: Letter Approved) Supes May Ask State Officials to Close ‘Loophole’ Allowing High-CBD Cannabis to be Grown as Hemp
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Will a Lapse in the County’s Hemp Moratorium Inadvertently Open the Floodgates for Industrial Cultivation?
- County Looks to Extend Moratorium on Industrial Hemp Cultivation While Developing New Rules and Regulations
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony’s Krayzie Bone Visits Humboldt for His New Weed Brand, Looks at Pretty Ocean Views
- Marijuana Business Daily: What’s next in New York and New Jersey? Marijuana business experts weigh in
- Cannabis Law Report: Australia: Game On… NSW Bar Association Says It’s Time To Decriminalise Ice & Other Drugs
- Cannabis Law Report: Hawaii Gov Accedes To Cannabis Decriminalization
- Cannabis Law Report: NORML: New Mexico: New Marijuana Decriminalization Law Goes Into Effect Next Week
- Cannabis Law Report: Illinois: Pritzker Puts Pen To Paper On Recreational Bill
- Cannabis Law Report: California cannabis grower sues another under federal racketeering statutes
- Cannabis Law Report: CA: Proposed bill prevents California Veterinary Medical Board from taking special enforcement against vets who recommend cannabis products,
- The Emerald Magazine : Columbia Care Launches Cannabis Friendly Credit Card
- High Times News: Two Plead Guilty to Using United States Postal Service to Traffic Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: California marijuana vape cartridges required to include universal symbol