WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 8 @ 8:22 a.m.
Weed Feed: Marijuana More Damaging to Teen Brains Than Alcohol, New Study Finds
Teens who use marijuana cause more damage to their brains than those who drink alcohol, a new study published in The American Journal of Psychiatry finds.
According to the study, marijuana use showed signs of short and long-term effects on the teens’ cognitive brain functions, including problem solving, long-term memory, short-term memory and manipulation, USA Today reports.
“For adolescents who use substances, the lasting effects of cannabis on cognition appear to be more pronounced than those observed for alcohol,” The American Journal of Psychiatry Tweeted Friday.
The study looked at 4,000 students in the Montreal area during a four-year period, starting when the average research subject was roughly 13 years old.
Although researchers reportedly expected alcohol to have worse effects on the teens’ brains, they could not link teen alcohol use to any signs of brain damage.
“We initially suspected alcohol would have a bigger effect,” lead author and professor of psychiatry at the University of Montreal Patricia Conrod told USA TODAY.
The study also found that teens who used marijuana were more prone to drug addiction as they grew older.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
From the Outpost
- Humboldt Man Found Pushing Dolly Full of Weed East on Wyoming Highway
- 16,000 Pounds of Marijuana Seized, Over 30 People Detained at Grow Site East of Honeydew
- Ohio Man Arrested After Deputies Discover 500+ lbs. of Weed, Rifles with High-Capacity Magazines in Weaverville Commercial Building
- CANNABIS CARES: Local Cannabis Businesses Brave Pre-Thanksgiving Rain to Serve Area Homeless
- County Assesses $4.5M in Penalties for Illegal Weed Cultivation, But Don’t Expect Anyone to Pay Up
- Humboldt Woman Faces 22 Years in Prison After Being Arrested in Ohio With Hundreds of Pounds of Weed
- Godfather Director Makes SoHum Marijuana ‘Brothers’ an Offer They Can’t Refuse
- Supervisors Override Objections from Fortuna, Approve Indoor Cannabis Operation Near Rohnerville Airport
- Leafly: Medical Marijuana Patient, 78, Evicted in Freezing Cold for Taking Medicine
- Marijuana Business Daily: Maryland’s medical cannabis sales hit $96 million in first year
- Leafly: Shoppers Drug Mart Granted License to Sell Medical Cannabis Online
- High Times News: 78-Year-Old Man Evicted For Using Medical Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: Cannabis shortages plague Canadian retailers; here’s how they’re responding
- Marijuana Business Daily: Chart: Significant challenges await Iowa’s new medical cannabis program
- Cannabis Culture: Aspiring ‘Craft’ Cannabis Producers Running Into Unexpected Roadblocks
- Cannabis Culture: Shoppers Drug Mart Granted Licence to Sell Medical Marijuana Online
- Leafly: Hit This: The Leafly Weekly Agenda for Dec. 10-16
- Cannabis Law Report: The New AG, NCBA Says “Barr.. Nobody Knows”