WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 8, 2018 @ 8:22 a.m.
Weed Feed: Marijuana More Damaging to Teen Brains Than Alcohol, New Study Finds
Teens who use marijuana cause more damage to their brains than those who drink alcohol, a new study published in The American Journal of Psychiatry finds.
According to the study, marijuana use showed signs of short and long-term effects on the teens’ cognitive brain functions, including problem solving, long-term memory, short-term memory and manipulation, USA Today reports.
“For adolescents who use substances, the lasting effects of cannabis on cognition appear to be more pronounced than those observed for alcohol,” The American Journal of Psychiatry Tweeted Friday.
The study looked at 4,000 students in the Montreal area during a four-year period, starting when the average research subject was roughly 13 years old.
Although researchers reportedly expected alcohol to have worse effects on the teens’ brains, they could not link teen alcohol use to any signs of brain damage.
“We initially suspected alcohol would have a bigger effect,” lead author and professor of psychiatry at the University of Montreal Patricia Conrod told USA TODAY.
The study also found that teens who used marijuana were more prone to drug addiction as they grew older.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
From the Outpost
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Will a Lapse in the County’s Hemp Moratorium Inadvertently Open the Floodgates for Industrial Cultivation?
- County Looks to Extend Moratorium on Industrial Hemp Cultivation While Developing New Rules and Regulations
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony’s Krayzie Bone Visits Humboldt for His New Weed Brand, Looks at Pretty Ocean Views
- Hoopa Election Board Rejects Controversial Ballot Measure About Cannabis Legalization
- County Approves ‘Cannabis Village’ With Onsite Sales and Consumption for Reggae on the River
- The Hoopa Valley Tribe Can’t Decide Whether to Allow Weed Cultivation, Nor Whether They Already Answered that Question
- Cannabis Law Report: Fox Rothschild Publish PDF, ” National Survey On Marijuana Law On Regulations”
- Cannabis Law Report: Cultiva Law Looking For A Paralegal
- Cannabis Law Report: INCBA Says It Is Now Developing Student Bodies Throughout the US
- Cannabis Law Report: CO: The Department of Revenue’s Marijuana Enforcement Division is planning a work group regarding House Bill 19-1090
- Marijuana Business Daily: Hearing begins for Nevada marijuana businesses claiming state licensing bias
- High Times News: Two-Year Investigation of Illicit Weed Market Leads to Multimillion Dollar Raids
- Marijuana Business Daily: Arkansas medical cannabis dispensary sued for trademark infringement
- Leafly: Trashing Your Empty Vape Oil Cartridges? Here’s What You Can Do Instead
- High Times News: Data Finds Canadians in New Brunswick Reluctant to Buy Pot With Credit Cards
- Leafly: Some Ontario Cannabis Stores Cut Hours Amid National Supply Shortage