WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Jan. 14 @ 10:02 a.m.
Weed Feed: New 420 Bill Would Remove Marijuana From Controlled Substances Act
A new marijuana bill numbered after the stoner holiday 420, was introduced into congress last week.
The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act, also known as H.R. 420, is aimed at changing federal law to — obviously — regulate marijuana like alcohol. The bill would also also remove marijuana from the federal Controlled Substances Act, Marijuana Moment reports.
The bill was filed by Congressman Earl Blumenauer of Oregon, who admitted the title is meant to be humorous, but added that the underlying issues are not.
“While the bill number may be a bit tongue in cheek, the issue is very serious,” Blumenauer is quoted as saying in a press release. “Our federal marijuana laws are outdated, out of touch and have negatively impacted countless lives. Congress cannot continue to be out of touch with a movement that a growing majority of Americans support. It’s time to end this senseless prohibition.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
From the Outpost
- Arcata-Based Cannabis Start-up Offers Steep Discounts Through Costco-Like Membership Model
- Eureka City Council Passes Ordinance Allowing Cannabis Smoking Lounges in the City
- Supes Give Cannabis Farmers a Tax Break, But Statewide Overproduction Could Spell Doom for Many Growers
- Rio Dell Still Rolling Out the Carpet for Weed Biz; New Package Includes Locked-In Tax Rates, Eased Zoning, Equity Program
- Eureka City Council: Ordinance to Allow On-Site Weed Smoking, City Cannabis Equity Program on Tuesday’s Agenda
- ‘PROJECT TRELLIS’: The Board of Supervisors May Create a Government Funding Mechanism for the Local Cannabis Industry Tomorrow
- 455 Pounds of Marijuana, BHO, Guns Seized During Raid in Trinity County
- (VIDEO) PANEL DISCUSSION: The Other Side of Murder Mountain
- Cannabis Law Report: Oregon Cannabis Legislation Update
- Cannabis Law Report: Oregon: OLCC Latest Marijuana Licensee Stipulated Settlements
- Leafly: Carl’s Jr. CBD Burgers Go Over Big in Denver
- Marijuana Business Daily: Ways for marijuana firms to protect their stocks from short sellers
- Cannabis Law Report: Sol Global Chairman Andy Defrancesco sued for Defamation by Cannabis Research Firm: $SOLCF
- Leafly: 4/20: Live Coverage of the 2019 Cannabis Holiday
- Leafly: 4/20: Live Coverage of the 2019 Cannabis Holiday in Canada
- Marijuana Business Daily: Cannabis business ties can lead to citizenship denial, immigration agency says
- Leafly: Chronic Chronology: Great Moments in 4/20 History
- Marijuana Business Daily: CA marijuana regulators, L.A. officials launch 4/20 push backing legal retailers