WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Jan. 7 @ 9:23 a.m.
Weed Feed: Congress Introduces Bipartisan Marijuana Reform Bill
A marijuana reform bill is one of the first pieces of legislation to be introduced in the House in 2019.
The Compassionate Access, Research Expansion and Respect States Act was reintroduced Thursday by Congressmen Steve Cohen of Tennessee and Don Young of Alaska.
If passed, the bipartisan bill will amend federal law to allow states to institute their own medical marijuana laws without fear of federal prosecution. It would also permit Department of Veterans Affairs doctors to prescribe medical marijuana to veterans.
“The national consensus on medical marijuana is solid and bipartisan, but our federal drug laws continue to treat patients and their doctors like criminals,” Congressman Cohen is quoted as saying in a press release. “Our bill would bring federal medical marijuana policy in line with the views of the overwhelming majority of Americans by allowing states to set their own marijuana laws, allowing patients, including veterans, to receive the treatments they need from their doctors and improving opportunities for research on marijuana.”
The Washington Times reports that President Trump has said he will support marijuana reformation if a bill reaches his desk.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- September 18 Show
- August 21 Show
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
From the Outpost
- Attention Un-permitted Small-Scale Weed Farmers: You Can Still Get Your Application Processed in Time for 2020 Grow Season, County Says
- OPERATION ‘GREEN WAVE’: One Arrested at Unpermitted Grow Off Highway 36
- Did You Mean to Get Your Cannabis Cultivation Permit But Just, Like, SPACED IT? You Have Three Months to Un-Space Yourself
- OPERATION ‘WILD FISHER’: Weeklong Trespass Grow Cleanup Operation Hauls Tons of Trash, Miles of Water Lines Out of the Trinity Alps Wilderness
- WEED IS BACK! Humboldt County Growers Say They’re Having Their Best Season in Years
- 1,888 Marijuana Plants Seized, Two Arrested During Grow-Op Raid On Public Lands Near Trinity Alps
- 60,000+ Marijuana Plants, 3,500+ Pounds of Processed Bud Seized During Sizable Law Enforcement Operation in Trinity County
- (UPDATE) Marijuana Grow Neighboring Arcata’s Jacoby Creek Community Forest Causes Logistical Nightmare for Government Agencies; City Expresses Concerns About Owner’s Sketchy History
- Marijuana Business Daily: New CA laws allow some marijuana firms to deduct expenses on state returns, help normalize MJ as ag commodity
- The Emerald Magazine : Smoking Devices That Don’t Look Like D*cks
- Leafly: Where to celebrate Canada’s first anniversary of legalization
- The Emerald Magazine : EmeraldCast: Interview With Stephanie Diaz of Hemp Lab
- Cannabis Law Report: Full Service Cannabis Law Firm Opens Its Doors In Arizona
- Marijuana Business Daily: Chart: How medical cannabis programs fare in states with recreational markets
- Cannabis Law Report: Colorado regulators to finalize ban on additives in cannabis vape products
- Leafly: Area man mistreats cannabis plants in stolen van
- Marijuana Business Daily: CannTrust to destroy CA$77 million in cannabis plants, inventory
- Marijuana Business Daily: FBI probing potential public corruption in Sacramento marijuana industry