WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Jan. 7 @ 9:23 a.m.
Weed Feed: Congress Introduces Bipartisan Marijuana Reform Bill
A marijuana reform bill is one of the first pieces of legislation to be introduced in the House in 2019.
The Compassionate Access, Research Expansion and Respect States Act was reintroduced Thursday by Congressmen Steve Cohen of Tennessee and Don Young of Alaska.
If passed, the bipartisan bill will amend federal law to allow states to institute their own medical marijuana laws without fear of federal prosecution. It would also permit Department of Veterans Affairs doctors to prescribe medical marijuana to veterans.
“The national consensus on medical marijuana is solid and bipartisan, but our federal drug laws continue to treat patients and their doctors like criminals,” Congressman Cohen is quoted as saying in a press release. “Our bill would bring federal medical marijuana policy in line with the views of the overwhelming majority of Americans by allowing states to set their own marijuana laws, allowing patients, including veterans, to receive the treatments they need from their doctors and improving opportunities for research on marijuana.”
The Washington Times reports that President Trump has said he will support marijuana reformation if a bill reaches his desk.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
From the Outpost
- Rio Dell Still Rolling Out the Carpet for Weed Biz; New Package Includes Locked-In Tax Rates, Eased Zoning, Equity Program
- Eureka City Council: Ordinance to Allow On-Site Weed Smoking, City Cannabis Equity Program on Tuesday’s Agenda
- ‘PROJECT TRELLIS’: The Board of Supervisors May Create a Government Funding Mechanism for the Local Cannabis Industry Tomorrow
- 455 Pounds of Marijuana, BHO, Guns Seized During Raid in Trinity County
- (VIDEO) PANEL DISCUSSION: The Other Side of Murder Mountain
- THE HOBELMANN REPORT: At Last Week’s ‘Seed to Sale’ Cannabis Business Event in Fortuna
- Weed Growers Without Permits Can Expect Detailed Abatement Letters This Year, County Says
- Panel Discussion at HSU Will Look at Netflix’s Murder Mountain and Media Representations of Humboldt County
- Marijuana Business Daily: Will California marijuana excise tax go up July 1?
- Cannabis Law Report: Bob Hoban Clocks Up The Air Miles..
- Cannabis Law Report: ORCA March 2019 Newsletter Provides Exhaustive Overview of State Legislative Developments & OLCC Rules, Regs & Education Programs
- Cannabis Law Report: Oregon: OLCC Decisions & Fines 23 March 2019
- Leafly: Cannabis Out! New York Drops Legalization From Budget Bill
- High Times News: Alabama Lawmakers Pushing to Legalize Medical Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: Guernsey releases marijuana regulations, licenses first business
- Leafly: Louisiana Takes a Step Toward Finally Delivering Medical Marijuana
- Leafly: Hot New Cannabis Products Promise to Dial in Effects
- Marijuana Business Daily: Romania considering legalization of medical cannabis