WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Jan. 7 @ 9:23 a.m.
Weed Feed: Congress Introduces Bipartisan Marijuana Reform Bill
A marijuana reform bill is one of the first pieces of legislation to be introduced in the House in 2019.
The Compassionate Access, Research Expansion and Respect States Act was reintroduced Thursday by Congressmen Steve Cohen of Tennessee and Don Young of Alaska.
If passed, the bipartisan bill will amend federal law to allow states to institute their own medical marijuana laws without fear of federal prosecution. It would also permit Department of Veterans Affairs doctors to prescribe medical marijuana to veterans.
“The national consensus on medical marijuana is solid and bipartisan, but our federal drug laws continue to treat patients and their doctors like criminals,” Congressman Cohen is quoted as saying in a press release. “Our bill would bring federal medical marijuana policy in line with the views of the overwhelming majority of Americans by allowing states to set their own marijuana laws, allowing patients, including veterans, to receive the treatments they need from their doctors and improving opportunities for research on marijuana.”
The Washington Times reports that President Trump has said he will support marijuana reformation if a bill reaches his desk.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
From the Outpost
- ‘OPERATION CLEAN SWEEP’: National Guard Will Also Assist in This Week’s Raids on Illegal Mendocino Marijuana Grow Sites
- (VIDEO) Sheriff Honsal to Unpermitted Marijuana Growers: ‘We are Coming’
- BECAUSE WEED? Old Town’s ‘Because Coffee’ Closing This Weekend, Will Likely Be Replaced by Cannabis Smoking Lounge
- Rio Dell’s Downtown May Soon Have Three Weed Stores
- Humboldt County Growers, Manufacturers Show Out Strong at the 2019 NorCal Cannabis Cup
- (UPDATE: Letter Approved) Supes May Ask State Officials to Close ‘Loophole’ Allowing High-CBD Cannabis to be Grown as Hemp
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Marijuana Business Daily: New Hampshire governor rejects medical cannabis expansion bill
- High Times News: Someone Planted 34 Cannabis Plants in the Vermont Statehouse Flower Beds
- Wikileaf: CBD Water Is Legit
- Marijuana Business Daily: Utah delays awarding medicinal marijuana cultivation licenses
- High Times News: New Bill Ensures Some Retroactive Drug War Justice for New Hampshire
- Leafly: Beer Brewers on New Cannabis Beers: ‘They Should Just Stop’
- Leafly: Competition to Grow Medical Cannabis in Utah Heats Up
- Leafly: Kamala Harris Evolved Slowly on Legalization, but She’s All About It Now
- Cannabis Law Report: Hoban Law Launch Cannabis Compliance and Regulation courses on Green Flower Media Platform
- Marijuana Business Daily: Marijuana Business This Week: Utah selects growers, CBD comment period ends, NJ to post MMJ apps & more