WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Jan. 7 @ 9:23 a.m.
Weed Feed: Congress Introduces Bipartisan Marijuana Reform Bill
A marijuana reform bill is one of the first pieces of legislation to be introduced in the House in 2019.
The Compassionate Access, Research Expansion and Respect States Act was reintroduced Thursday by Congressmen Steve Cohen of Tennessee and Don Young of Alaska.
If passed, the bipartisan bill will amend federal law to allow states to institute their own medical marijuana laws without fear of federal prosecution. It would also permit Department of Veterans Affairs doctors to prescribe medical marijuana to veterans.
“The national consensus on medical marijuana is solid and bipartisan, but our federal drug laws continue to treat patients and their doctors like criminals,” Congressman Cohen is quoted as saying in a press release. “Our bill would bring federal medical marijuana policy in line with the views of the overwhelming majority of Americans by allowing states to set their own marijuana laws, allowing patients, including veterans, to receive the treatments they need from their doctors and improving opportunities for research on marijuana.”
The Washington Times reports that President Trump has said he will support marijuana reformation if a bill reaches his desk.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Rio Dell’s Downtown May Soon Have Three Weed Stores
- Humboldt County Growers, Manufacturers Show Out Strong at the 2019 NorCal Cannabis Cup
- (UPDATE: Letter Approved) Supes May Ask State Officials to Close ‘Loophole’ Allowing High-CBD Cannabis to be Grown as Hemp
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Will a Lapse in the County’s Hemp Moratorium Inadvertently Open the Floodgates for Industrial Cultivation?
- County Looks to Extend Moratorium on Industrial Hemp Cultivation While Developing New Rules and Regulations
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony’s Krayzie Bone Visits Humboldt for His New Weed Brand, Looks at Pretty Ocean Views
- Marijuana Business Daily: What’s next in New York and New Jersey? Marijuana business experts weigh in
- Cannabis Law Report: Australia: Game On… NSW Bar Association Says It’s Time To Decriminalise Ice & Other Drugs
- Cannabis Law Report: Hawaii Gov Accedes To Cannabis Decriminalization
- Cannabis Law Report: NORML: New Mexico: New Marijuana Decriminalization Law Goes Into Effect Next Week
- Cannabis Law Report: Illinois: Pritzker Puts Pen To Paper On Recreational Bill
- Cannabis Law Report: California cannabis grower sues another under federal racketeering statutes
- Cannabis Law Report: CA: Proposed bill prevents California Veterinary Medical Board from taking special enforcement against vets who recommend cannabis products,
- The Emerald Magazine : Columbia Care Launches Cannabis Friendly Credit Card
- High Times News: Two Plead Guilty to Using United States Postal Service to Traffic Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: California marijuana vape cartridges required to include universal symbol